New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Bike as only transport. Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike as only transport. Need Advice

Hi everyone. Im new to the forums and will be to cycling. Heres my situation: I have a ****ty car that keeps breaking down. The maintenance bills are outrageous. I wan to sell my car and get a motorcycle to ride as my only mode of transportation for the next 6 months until I go away to college. My question is is there anyone else out there who only has a motorcycle to get around? How is it riding street bike for 40+ miles a day? Are the inconveniences of a bike (no trunk, passengers, elements, etc) ever not worth it? I cant afford another car and a motorcycle so it has to be either or. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Old 11-26-2006, 01:57 AM
Default RE: Bike as only transport. Need Advice

I can't relate, but Welcome to the forum. My 2 cents... get the Motorcycle.... ride it like it's more than a 'only mode of transportation".[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 11-26-2006, 02:34 AM

For a short period of time before I got a company take home car I only had my CBR to get around. Now I have the company car and the bike, so I still have to ride my bike most of the time since the car is only for work. In my experience it is very difficult to have a motorcycle only. The days when it is pouring down rain and you have to get somewhere.....just plain sucks. The worst of it was the lack of cargo space. It made running to the store to pick up a few things a pain in the neck.

If you had money to spend to a car or a bike...hate to say it get the car. I live in the midwest and a car makes life so much easier, especially in the winter. But if you live in a warm and dry (year around) city, than you can make on a cycle alone it just takes alot of getting use to. If you are riding 24/7 make sure you buying alot of good riding gear to cover all the elements in your area.

Good luck , hope everything works out.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:55 AM

I don't have this problem either, but I would say go with the bike. It sounds like you are around my age, and as we know there are always people driving around and you can catch a ride or borrow a car if you really need it. Either way get the gear, get the training and keep the rubber side down.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:27 AM
Mad

Well rainy season is almost upon us... (Nov-Mar/Apr for SOCAL).

I ride my bike to work almost exclusively but I've only had it since May. There have been times when I've needed my truck because of work related events. It's rained a few times since I've had it and I must say having a truck (or car) as a backup is a relief. I am glad to have another form of transportation especially knowing that rainy season is coming...

Bottom line get a car first...

You'll probably be able to find a good running car for a few k's. Good luck...

Old 11-26-2006, 09:03 AM
Banned

Get a car. I wish I had a picture of my bike when I had to pick up some things from another house. I had both my tank and tail bag stuffed, my backpack stuffed, a six foot level strapped across the seat with workboots strapped to either side of it as well a misc. tools and such tied across that long pice of aluminum. I looked like a high speed refugee.

My girlfriend loves the bike, but not when her hair is important. Forget about getting her in the rain (I hate riding in the rain too).

If you live in arizona, then maybe you could get away with only a bike, but not most places.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:41 AM

It is not worth to have ONLY a bike...you will eventually want a car. Trust me I tried it and will never do it again.

Old 11-26-2006, 04:36 PM

Thanks for all the advice. As bad as I want a bike right now I think everyone who suggested to get a bike first has a point. I live in Socal and 90% of the time the weather is great but the other 10% it would suck to be on a motorcycle. Im gonna sell my car and see if I can get a used truck for a couple thousand and see if I have any money left over for a bike. Speaking of which, I went to the dealership and was looking at the CB600F. It sounds like it would be a great starter bike because it doesnt have fairings or aggressive specs. What do you guys think about it as a first bike? I've been searching for used ones to save a little money and insurance but I'm finding it hard to locate a bike thats not shady even close to my area. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the welcome and support, hopefully soon Ill be posting as a new rider

Old 11-26-2006, 08:59 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

What is more important? Having the room or not? Weigh all your options, I would have the car first, bike second. It's not practical to commute everday, at least where I live.