CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

How To Transport

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Transport

Looking for pointers on transporting a CBR 1000F. I have a trailer and am looking for advice on where I need to attach the straps and any other pointers you have. I want to transport it correctly the first time.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:20 PM

2 straps from the handlebars down to the front corners of the trailor. then back, either one strap over the seat, or 2 coming from each passenger peg, or swin arm... hope that makes sense and helps...

Old 12-26-2009, 01:35 PM

Our rear grab bar might be strong enough to attach to also. Anyone know?

Old 12-26-2009, 02:07 PM

What is the overall length of the bike too? Wondering if I need to leave the tailgate for the trailer at home?
Thanks

Old 12-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lenght

mine is 88 inches long

Old 12-26-2009, 02:36 PM

Mine says 89.4, and that extra 1.4 makes all the difference!

Old 12-26-2009, 05:24 PM

Canyon Dancer, strap through both wheels, done

Old 12-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Bar straps

Handle Bar straps are great. I have a few sets of them. There is not a lot to get a hold on with these bikes. You toss a bar strap over the handle bar and back through the other hole. Now the tie down strap has something to hook to.

Then you cinch the front down, pulling forward at angles to the front corners of the trailer and just like CBRclassic says, compress the forks. All I do next is to cinch the rear down to the sides compressing the rear slightly. I angle the rear straps rearward to help hold the bike when breaking. With just these four tie downs I have had good results. The handle bar straps are simply great.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by malbojah
Canyon Dancer
This.

Between working at shops, racing, and dirt bike riding I've prolly got 50,000 miles of trailering bikes in me. In all that time, I've never had a bike fall over, ever. Not even once. Here's what I've learned.

0. Tie it straight up and down. DO NOT use the side stand.

1. Canyon Dancer on the bars. NOTE: Just cinch them tight enough to squat the forks maybe 1.5"-2" ...don't haul down on it super hard...no reason to . The front straps are your backup, not your main anchor point. This will a) save your grips and b) work much better re: stability, I promise. If you don't have chocks or any way to keep the front wheel pointing straight, either put some boards down to keep the wheel straight or rope the wheel to the trailer rail, if it's an open garden style trailer.

2. On the CBR, use the rear peg brackets. They're plenty stout. You want to go out from them at at least a 40 deg. angle or so, and mostly straight up and down re: front/back. Cinch these down tight. If you feel like the bike is loose, have someone push down on the rear seat while you cinch to get it tighter.

3. Drive. Check the straps when you stop for fuel.

That's it. Most people don't think about the idea that the front portion of the subframe, or the rear pegs, are more central on the bike than the bars are, and as such, give WAY better stability. If you've never tied a bike down like this (relying on the rear/mid straps more than the front) you'll be surprised at how sturdy it is.

This is particularly important when using a canyon dancer, because if you go crazy in the front with those, you can ruin your grips and dork up your throttle. There's no reason to tie the bike down so hard in the front, so don't.

Also, there is a newer product that is similar to a canyon dancer but is a slightly better design re: protecting the grips. I forget the name of it...someone might chime in.

Quick Reply: How To Transport