New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

06 600f4i in Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 600f4i in Ohio

Hey all. I just picked up my first sportbike, a yellow 2006 cbr600f4i! It's got 21k miles and is in generally good shape! I saw this bike at a local dealer 3 weeks ago and it was one of the first bikes I gravitated toward in their lot, but it had a sold sign on it..however, I randomly went back this friday and saw it was still there and for sale again. I guess somebody couldn't get the financing they needed so I was able to pick it up and got a decent deal, (at least for a dealer). Anyway, I've already put about 400 miles on it in 3 days lol. It's absolutely awesome. I am so happy to finally have a 600, it's been a dream of mine for a long time, and I'm really glad I didn't have to break my bank to get one. I traded in a Honda Grom so it really didn't cost me much out of pocket to get it, how awesome it is for the money spent! Man, the powerband on this thing, I absolutely love the ways it feels going through those rpms! Such a cool experience! One I've always wanted! The handling is great too but it is taking some time getting used to it, it's much more responsive than the other bikes I've ridden and just feels, different. But I'm getting better at leaning it and cornering and I can see the potential is there for a lot of fun. My plans so far are to keep it pretty stock. I'll probably get tank grips, maybe a different slip on, possibly a PCV, I don't know. But really, I just want it to last a long time and enjoy it as much as I can. No plans to stunt or race it, just want a fun long lasting bike! I do think it might need a CCTL after reading about that problem on the forums. It does make some noise around 5.5k or so, but it's not too loud. I think it's alright for now but I do plan on going ahead and replacing it and a few other maintenance things some time this season. The only real issue I'm having is I can't get the front prong on the seat to hook into place, if you look closely you can see the seat is sitting up too high in the front.. it came like this from the dealer so I'm not sure if i'm making a mistake or if there is something preventing it from hooking in there. It's kinda hard to see in there to figure out whats wrong but I'll give it another go later. There are grooves ground into the plastic prong on the seat so you can see it's been sitting on there like that a while. Anyone ever had this issue?

Anyway, here are some pics. It looks like it's got a few mods that I'm not able to identify. Do any of you recognize these parts? I don't know what brand slip on exhaust this is, nor do I know what kind of tail light kit it has. The rear turn signals are underneath the brake light and also are integrated with the rear pegs. If you look close you can see those three dots on the rear pegs are the integrated turn signals. Pretty cool, but anyone know what brand this kit is?

Old 07-03-2019, 11:54 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forum wingbit!
Big step up from the Grom!
Nice looking ride!
I would suggest asking your questions in the F4 section. I can't answer them as not familiar with that model.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:41 PM

Good point on asking in the right section, I will do that! Yup it's a big step up from the grom but I also have an MT07 Yamaha so I'm used to a bigger bike with some power. But the cbr600f4i is very different nevertheless. Thanks for the welcome.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do the CCT I would strongly recommend upgrading to a manual tensioner. Once set right you will likely never have to touch it again. The OEM CCTs are notorious for going bad. I went with manual tensioners in both my 600RR and CRF450R several years ago and both are still working perfectly.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by shawn809
If you do the CCT I would strongly recommend upgrading to a manual tensioner. Once set right you will likely never have to touch it again. The OEM CCTs are notorious for going bad. I went with manual tensioners in both my 600RR and CRF450R several years ago and both are still working perfectly.
Yup I'm definitely considering going manual. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:30 PM

Also, that's a clean looking F4i! Back in my early 20's I had a roommate with a 2001 F4i, and the moment i rode that bike I knew I wanted a CBR600. Well, years went by and by, and when I turned 30 I said enough, time to make it happen. I spent all winter on craigslist and eventually the one for me popped up. It was a 2006 600RR, black, that had been laid down by both previous owners. Mechanically, it was all there, but it looked horrible. Time to build my dream bike! I have always been in love with the Repsol bikes, and there are plenty of Repsol replica fairings to be found! Everywhere I go I get compliments on my bike, which is fun, but I gotta say, It's hard to beat riding a Honda CBR600!

Old 07-05-2019, 10:52 PM

Also, that's a clean looking F4i! Back in my early 20's I had a roommate with a 2001 F4i, and the moment i rode that bike I knew I wanted a CBR600. Well, years went by and by, and when I turned 30 I said enough, time to make it happen. I spent all winter on craigslist and eventually the one for me popped up. It was a 2006 600RR, black, that had been laid down by both previous owners. Mechanically, it was all there, but it looked horrible. Time to build my dream bike! I have always been in love with the Repsol bikes, and there are plenty of Repsol replica fairings to be found! Everywhere I go I get compliments on my bike, which is fun, but I gotta say, It's hard to beat riding a Honda CBR600!
Thanks! I agree nothing beats the cbr600, this is the most fun I've ever had in a vehicle of any type! That's a smart way to get your dream bike btw. I also waited tell I was a little older to make my 600 dream come true. Definitely a good decision, even though it's an 2006, this thing is really fast. Better to wait tell your a little wiser before you have this much power.

Well I've put 700 miles on her already, no issues so far and lots of fun! Certainly not the most comfortable after about 40 minutes but it's worth it for the performance imo.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by wingbit
Certainly not the most comfortable after about 40 minutes but it's worth it for the performance imo.
Yeah, you will get more comfort endurance the more you ride, too. I used to be the same, but now I can do 3 hours comfortably. After that, especially if I hit the interstate, I start to cramp up. There's one loop I love that's 270 miles and takes 5 hours, but the last 80 miles is all interstate and it's just agony getting back haha. I noticed the F4i is a little more comfortable than the RR, but I love my RR!

Before and after of my bike.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:37 PM

Yeah, you will get more comfort endurance the more you ride, too. I used to be the same, but now I can do 3 hours comfortably. After that, especially if I hit the interstate, I start to cramp up. There's one loop I love that's 270 miles and takes 5 hours, but the last 80 miles is all interstate and it's just agony getting back haha. I noticed the F4i is a little more comfortable than the RR, but I love my RR!

Before and after of my bike.

Looks good man! Basically appears brand new now. Congrats!
Your right about getting more comfortable over time. I went on a ride today and noticed I was feeling much more comfortable. I think I'm developing some new muscle due to the sporty riding position, and that's what made me sore but over time it will get easier.