Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your CBR, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you think about this trip?
He will make it, people really can do good things
76.19%
He wont make it, its to long/ crazy of a trip
4.76%
He should just fly from Washington
4.76%
He will make it, and I want to join the ride!
14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Alaska to Alabama ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alaska to Alabama ride

The title is right. thats my goal.
Hey everyone, just to introduce myself my name is Ronald L K. most people call me Ron. I am 22 yrs old and currently serving in Iraq with the US Army. We are about to leave here soon where we will head back to Alaska. Once we get back I will be, what we call in the Military, PCS'ing. I am transfering to a new duty station. Ive recently come across some bumps in this road of mine. After weighing all of my options the easiest route for me to take, is a ferry from AK down to Washington. Ive decided why park my bike there and fly down to Alabama, when i can possibly continue my journey all the way to my home in AL. Time is no issue because i will have well over 40 days, money is also no issue at this point in time.
I come here today because i know theres alot of fellow riders out there who may have rode many miles in their lives thus far. I wouls just like yalls opinions on how possible you think this trip would be for me.
Im the typical motorcycle guy. When i say that, i mean I grew up on 2 wheels. At age 5 i got my first dirtbike. Was racing those untill about 14yrs old when i got my first job. Worked hard and went through rough times while saving money. Then with my own money i bought my first bike, a 2006 CBR 600 F4i at age 16. I fell in love instantly. When i turned 18 i used the money I saved up and with a little help from my parents bought my first track bike, a 2004 CBR 600RR basicly race ready. After many track days and hours on the track with both bikes, i finally entered my first AMA race at age 18. Once again i loved it. I felt this was my life dream being completed. Feeling so high on life, i knew i had to return all the luck and all the hard work to the rest of the people. I felt as if i didnt deserve everything i had. So duty called and at age 19 i joined the US Army, where i still am today.

The bike i plan on making this ride with, is the same bike that ive had since the beggining. My 2006 CBR 600F4i. The engine has been rebuilt, modified and clean more times then i can count. Currently there are about 40k miles on it. Im not exactly sure cause its been over a year since ive rode on it. I am great at bike mechanics (thanks to my dad) and can fix just about any problem my bike has by myself. It will have brand new tires, front and back, new rims front and back also, new chain, sprockets, fluids, pistons and crank. Plus a few other treats.

Now im really excited at just the thought of this trip, because ive never rode that far before.
I would just like to know what everyone here thinks of this idea of mine.
Or if there is anyone out there who wants to meet up with me along my journey, or anyone who has tips on gas or other things please let me know.
Also I know my spelling and grammar is off some, please dont spam or trash talk about it. Hopefully we're all adults here and can respect each other. Im a really nice guy and enjoy makin new friends, especially riding friends.
Thanks for reading.
- SPC K. Ronald L Jr.
US Army MP

Old 04-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Default .

THIS IS ME

THIS IS MY 2006 F4i

This is my 600RR

And this is me on the track

Old 04-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome & thanks for your service. That's seems to be a long ride on a 600 but ride safe & enjoy the scenery on your trip.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:35 PM

Good luck. I wish I had the time and money to take a long ride like that. I think it will be a road trip of a lifetime. Just make sure you pack to be ready for anything you might run into. So how soon are you planning on doing this?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:38 AM

thanks, I plan on heading out early july. I plan on makin a shirt or a jacket of some kind that says something about my trip. That way when I stop at gas stations people will know how far im going and how far ive been so far. Im pretty confident i can do it, my only worry is that i wont make it on gas. i have a fuel controller but i dont know how far apart gas stations are through out the USA.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:30 AM

Update:
So as I was eating lunch i had a sudden thought that crossed my mind. The more i sat and thought about it the more I liked it. Even though i dont have very many resources and im limited to what i can actually do, ive decided i will be riding for a Charity supporting cancer. I owe a close friend and his family a favor and I figured this would be the best way i can help them. Im still searching for an organization sponcer, but ill keep this "CBR Forum" updated on my plans. I will be donating a large ammount of money to the program i find best suitable, and any money I manage to raise along my journey will also be donated.
As of this point in time the only plans I have are, I plan on starting the main trip From the coast of Washington, through many states, and ending in my home town of Trussville, Alabama. I will leave Alaska on July 1st of this year, and take a 2-5 day ferry down to Washington, where i will then head out.
All other plans are still being worked on, and I wont have the exact route untill im out of Iraq and back in Alaska. If anyone wants to donate, or ride with me at any point in time, or help with anything feel free to let me know.
I have to go for today but I will be back online tomorrow.
Thanks for taking the time to read.
-Ron

Old 04-18-2010, 07:12 AM

Hi Ron.
For some people that's a 2 day trip. If you have 40 days that is all the time in the world. You can stop whenever ya butt hurts, when ya get tired and whenever ya feel like it. As for fuel, work out how far your bike will go on a tank + a gallon or two in a jerrycan - and be honest, not optomistic - then get yourself a map and work a route that won't leave you stranded between towns. If you still aren't sure post up on forums and ask if anyone lives on that route and where can you get fuel, food and a room.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for you service. Buy a GPS, a good one around $300. GPS will tell you where the gas stations, food and hotels are at. I did a ride from Pensacola Fl. to Indianapolis IN. to San Fransisco CA. when I changed duty stations back in the 90's.
Also maybe invest in a better seat to. Good luck and Welcome to the CBRF!!!
Don't for get to take a Camera too.

Last edited by Indiana Hurricane; 04-18-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Meh, easy poll. You got the riding experience. You got the physical shape to make it (hell, prolly got the shape to carry it the trip). You got the mindset to do it. Take a bit to go over the major mechanicals and get re-used to riding it, instead of in a humvee. Then go for it

Tips? If you stop in a motel for the night, get a ground floor room and bring your bike in the room with you. Carry everything on your bike, not your back (that'll be different from the past couple years eh?). Make sure you have what you need to quick fix in the field (patch kit, duct tape, zip ties, tools). Plan multiple stopping points for each day. Ie: in case you don't make good time, if you're right on time and in case there were no cops for the last 200 miles

And your military ID may be invaluable during the trip

Old 04-18-2010, 12:08 PM

When do you get home from Iraq, I'm interested in this ride, I'm also in Iraq (Alasad) I head out of here within the next month. Sounds interesting but it will def be a hard ride. Might want to get some dual compound tires. But you would def. need to plan a route, stops, and places to sleep. Ever heard of the patriot riders? You probably could get ALOT of backup with these guys. Look em up. Lemme know what you find out.

Quick Reply: Alaska to Alabama ride