How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Oil pickup mod DIY free (F4i)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 11:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil pickup mod DIY free (F4i)

About 10 years ago I bought the stuntex pickup mod for my old f4i, I think I paid $80 at hte time, I honestly wasn't that impressed with it personally. Turning your pickup around, sure, is great, but I didn't care for the "baffle" that they include. I originally installed my mod wit the baffle, but then later took it out and left my pickup turned around.

The baffle seems like a good idea in theory. And it may help to some degree to slowing the time from taking your bike to 12 or past 12, to the time it loses oil pressure. But the reason I personally didn't like the baffle, is because once you do lose oil pressure, there is NO way to get oil back to the pickup unless you set the bike down! The baffle blocks oil from getting back to the ban if your bike is at 12'0 clock.

Anyways, I didn't notice much of a difference on my old f4i, so on my new f4i I'm building, it certainly wasn't worth even $10 for me to buy the mod. But I had to take my oil pan off of this f4i anyways to paint it, so I decided to make my own adapter to turn the pickup around.

All I used is a piece of scrap metal that I drilled a hole into that was the same size as the oil pickup (3/4"), some metal snips to cut the metal to shape, and then just hit it real fast with my bench grinder to make it look "nice". Took me maybe 10 minutes, and does the same thing the $60 part u buy online does (minus the baffle).

First pic is of the part I made, super simple. Second pic is it stuck back into the motor, tada!
3rd pic is my old f4i, after I ran the Stuntex setup, when I pulled the oil pan back off to remove the baffle. 4th pic is a old pic of me with NO oil pick up mod,oil pickup 100% stock, at that angle, my f4i would maintain oil pressure ALL DAY with my bike just having about 1/3-1/2qt overfull of oil (right to the top of thesight glass), just going slightly further back, and it would lose pressure if I stayed back more than a few seconds. A

The following users liked this post:
Joey GunZilla (02-26-2020)