How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

HOW TO: F4i Speed sensor swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading elsewhere that you have to remove the throttle bodies to do this job? mine's a US bike so maybe that is the difference? anybody have any input on this. i'd just assume not remove them if I don't have to!

Old 04-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Registered Users

Its the same bike. If you have tiny hands you will be fine, if not and you are doing it on your own then it is adviseable to follow the manual. This involves removing the tank and the throttle bodies to gain access from the top. It is very difficult to get to the nuts and the connector cable.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Small hands would help but isn't essential if you get creative with socket extenders and elbows. I wear an XL glove and managed it (albeit with a few scraped knuckles and LOTS of swearing).

Give it a go without and if you are really struggling, remove the TBs, not a hard job but avoid it if you can as inlet rubbers can be an ****.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:37 AM

Ok cool thanks for the help! I have a new sensor already but think I'm gonna try n clean it first and then replace when I do my sprocket/chain replacement and put a speedo healer on rather than messing w/ all that twice.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by richy2476
i had the same problem. speedo would not register did some digging and found out it was the kph to mph converter. if you follow the wire from the speedo sensor it is a little black box with 3 wires on each side. un clip it and join the two wires together. take your bike for a spin to see if it works. your clock will be in kph but will do until you can get a replacement converter plus i can guarentee its a hell of a lot cheaper than a 150 quid speedo sensor.
I have a bike that is in the uk (mph) and the connector from the speedo sensor has 3 wires in the black connector block and 3 out is the right for mph? I noticed on the dash the previous owner has put a mph sticker over the led kmh sign? Can you change the dash so it reads one or the other?

Old 05-21-2020, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Damien Grice
I have a bike that is in the uk (mph) and the connector from the speedo sensor has 3 wires in the black connector block and 3 out is the right for mph? I noticed on the dash the previous owner has put a mph sticker over the led kmh sign? Can you change the dash so it reads one or the other?
Your reg isnt t985naw is it? Because i couldnt find an adaptor anywhere even on the diagrams so i put a sticker over mine because it was cheaper than buying a new dash

Old 05-21-2020, 03:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Damien Grice
Wow, necrothread. Sold this bike three years.ago after 10 years of owning it. On mine if you held one of the dash buttons it would flip between mph and kph. The parts etc are the same for mph and kph, just the calculation that turns it into speed is different so no need to change parts or wiring positions.

Guy above you is perhaps talking about a Speedo healer which people fit when they have altered the sprocket sizes. Not needed for mph/kph conversion, that's done in the dash.

The following users liked this post:
Damien Grice (05-21-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 05:55 AM
Red face

Originally Posted by richy2476
i had the same problem. speedo would not register did some digging and found out it was the kph to mph converter. if you follow the wire from the speedo sensor it is a little black box with 3 wires on each side. un clip it and join the two wires together. take your bike for a spin to see if it works. your clock will be in kph but will do until you can get a replacement converter plus i can guarentee its a hell of a lot cheaper than a 150 quid speedo sensor.
Was that the pink and green wire mate

Old 07-27-2020, 02:05 PM

Position your multimeter between the pink and green terminals, spin the wheel by hand and check for 5v peaks as the VSS sends a pulse. If no reading is obtained then your VSS is probably knackered. Buy a new one. If it does give a pulse then it may still be knackered but could mean that your clocks are faulty. If like me, you get about 30s of working speedo at the beginning of most rides then this probably doesnt tell you any more than you already know because the speed sensor is likely to be working but only intermittently.
What if my multi-meter reads a constant 5V across the pink and green wires as I turn the rear wheel?

Here my recent post on the issues I've been having with my speedometer:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...0/#post1334051

Video of me rotating the rear wheel with multi-meter attached:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...ZSUExLYjlzeTBR

Last edited by aireq; 07-27-2020 at 02:07 PM.