How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

HOW TO: Change your CCTL with PICS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO: Change your CCTL with PICS!!!!

I have been needing to do this for some time now and I finally decided to sit down and get it done and I figured I'd do everyone else a favor and document it as I went. Since to my knowledge the only other one with pics is the one that shows the manual cctl, I figured this would help fill in some gaps.

Let me start by saying I am by no means an expert with motorcycles. This is my first bike and the first time I have actually worked on it. I grew up with atv's and have done lots of work on them, so the knowledge kinda transfers over. Now to mention this was a super easy thing to change.

If anyone sees something I left out or something I did wrong please let me know and i'll change the how to since I'm assuming lots of people in the future will be using this.

The bike in question is an 03 CBR F4I. The directions might vary slightly on the banana seat models, but should still be super easy to figure out. Also, disregard the fact that my bike is rashed and dirty. Just deal with it, i do.

NOTE: I'm not responsible if any mistakes are made or if you damage something in/on your bike, always consult with your dealership if you are not sure about something.

Important: Have the bike in Neutral when performing this and do not move the chain or wheel.

Also, the total install time took me two hours from the time I walked out in the garage until the time I took my test ride.(It was rainy, but i didn't care. I had to know. lol) The difference was night and day. Went from being all rattly and noisy to whisper quiet. So amazing. Now I can ride around town without having to try and keep it between certain rpm's for fear of humiliation.

That being said, here goes.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
Step 1 - Remove the right lower cowl. It is attached with 6 screws shown in picture (5mm), 2 screws behind the front tire(phillips), and 3 trim clips, two on bottom of bike and one behind the front tire up high.(phillips screwdriver will take these out, mine kinda fell out, lol)

Name:  DSCN7556.jpg
Views: 6024
Size:  143.7 KB

Step 2 - Remove the right air duct cover. It is attached with 2 screws shown in picture (5mm). A tip here is to be careful not to lose any of the screws or any of the rubber grommets that the screws screw into down in the motor, it'll be a pain in the butt to find it and get it back out.

Name:  DSCN7560.jpg
Views: 6084
Size:  146.3 KB

Step 3 - Remove your seat. It is held by two bolts on each side of the back under the foam. Just pull it back some and you'll see it.

Name:  DSCN7562.jpg
Views: 6042
Size:  158.1 KB

Step 4 - Get the tank out of the way. Start by taking out the two bolts in the back that were under your seat. (I used a t40 torq bit, but a allen wrench or equal size would work)

Name:  DSCN7563.jpg
Views: 5840
Size:  92.5 KB

There are two more bolts up front under the bars that need to come out also.

Name:  DSCN7564.jpg
Views: 5912
Size:  96.0 KB

Finally, take the 5mm screw out of the left air duct cover and the tank will be free.

Name:  DSCN7565.jpg
Views: 5976
Size:  121.3 KB

Step 5 - Set your tank off to the back left of the bike and then lift up the rubber flap and tuck it under the tank to get it out of the way. I used rags on the back of the tank and up by the bars to keep it from rubbing on the paint.

Name:  DSCN7566.jpg
Views: 6145
Size:  138.3 KB

Step 6 - Unplug this harness and push it back out of the way.

Name:  DSCN7568.jpg
Views: 6110
Size:  123.2 KB

Your CCTL is now visible.

Name:  DSCN7569.jpg
Views: 6118
Size:  114.9 KB

Step 7 - Start loosening the top and bottom bolts holding on the CCTL. The top one can be accessed with a 3/8 or 1/4 ratchet, extension, angle attachment, and 5mm allen socket. Go in through the top as shown in pic.

Name:  DSCN7570.jpg
Views: 5848
Size:  115.9 KB

The bottom one is a bit trickier. Use the same setup and go in through the access hole as shown in pic. Note that you must use the 1/4 attachment here to be able to make the angle. I couldn't get the 3/8 extension to work. BE PATIENT!!!!

Name:  DSCN7571.jpg
Views: 5962
Size:  150.0 KB

You can stick your hand through the gap above the cctl and kind of guide the tool into the screw head. Luckily mine weren't very tight and came our pretty easy. The CCTL will come out through this gap as well.

Name:  DSCN7572.jpg
Views: 5717
Size:  94.8 KB

Here is a pic of where the CCTL was. Make sure the old gasket came off completely.

Name:  DSCN7574.jpg
Views: 5884
Size:  97.8 KB

Here is a pic of the old and new CCTL's. Note the old one has one blue dot and the new one has two blue dots.

Name:  DSCN7576.jpg
Views: 5966
Size:  97.8 KB

Step 8 - Take the two screws and washers out of your old one and put them in your new one. Don't forget your new gasket! Reinstall the new one the same way you took the old one out and tighten down the mounting screws.

Step 9 - Remove the retainer clip. Just take some needle nose pliers and reach down there and pull on it. It slides straight out. At this point you'll hear it "snap" into place.

Name:  DSCN7577.jpg
Views: 6203
Size:  140.7 KB

Here is a pic of what the clip looks like removed.

Name:  DSCN7579.jpg
Views: 5927
Size:  84.8 KB

Step 10 - Don't forget to take the old screw and washer out of the end of your old one and put it in the new one where the clip previously was.

Name:  DSCN7581.jpg
Views: 6022
Size:  92.3 KB

That's it, your done!! You can now start to put the bike back together in reverse of how you took it apart.

Don't forget to plug your harness back in!!!!

If I missed anything or left questions, let me know and i'll edit the post.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 AM

There are no adjustments to be made? The old one looks like it was extended farther than the new one or is that just due to the retaining clip?

BTW, great how to on this. I'd say the extra time it took you was because of the picture taking. :-)

Old 09-28-2010, 09:23 AM

no adjustments, it's an oem automatic tensioner. it does all the work. and yep, it is shorter due to the clip still holding it in.

yeah, pictures took a few extra minutes, and i even had to take a break in the middle to go inside and put my kids to bed.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:20 PM

Nice job man. Great write up.

I've replaced mine with a APE manual but I wish i had this thread when I did it.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:57 PM

Great write up.

I replaced mine with an APE manual. Easy to do. But you need some patience. Good job.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:13 PM

The shop manual states that you must remove the throttle body in order to remove this...glad I saw this thread before I attempted it! Ordered my OEM cctl today, should have it by the end of the week...the guy at the dealer said there are some sealing washers to be replaced as well (which I didn't order)...Ever see or hear of those?

Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lucentinjection
The shop manual states that you must remove the throttle body in order to remove this...glad I saw this thread before I attempted it! Ordered my OEM cctl today, should have it by the end of the week...the guy at the dealer said there are some sealing washers to be replaced as well (which I didn't order)...Ever see or hear of those?

there were only three washers, two on the screws that hold it on and one on the screw out on the end of it. I didn't replace any of them. They looked like flat washers to me.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 PM

Just finished doing this tonight. I followed these instructions for the most part. The only thing I would add is to be sure you hook your fuel tank vent lines back up when you go to put the tank back down. I have an '06, so I'm not really sure if there's a difference between the bike shown in these pics and mine. I also found an extendible magnet very helpful

Old 10-07-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lucentinjection
Just finished doing this tonight. I followed these instructions for the most part. The only thing I would add is to be sure you hook your fuel tank vent lines back up when you go to put the tank back down. I have an '06, so I'm not really sure if there's a difference between the bike shown in these pics and mine. I also found an extendible magnet very helpful
no need to hook them back up if you don't disconnect them to begin with

there is no need to unhook them, they have enough slack to be able to move the tank to the side.

also, yes, an extendable magnet would've shaved 10 minutes off my time as i struggled with one finger to get a screw out from on top of the motor. lol

Old 10-07-2010, 10:54 AM

x2 on using the magnet multiple times during install. Pretty easy process just need small hands for sure. AND DONT PULL THE PIN WHEN YOU TAKE IT OUT OF THE PACKAGING.. i made that mistake lol

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Change your CCTL with PICS!!!!