How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How to Bleed/Change your Clutch Fluid - 1000RR

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Bleed/Change your Clutch Fluid - 1000RR

First off the Tools you will need are:

Open Or Ring Spanner (sorry can`t remember the size 8mm I think)
Cross Head Screwdriver
Cup or similar To Catch the old fluid in
Plenty of Kitchen Towel or similar incase of spills (Brake fluid is harmful to paint and plastic)
Speed bleeder or similar bleeding device to make life easy.

You`ll also need some fresh fluid, Dot 4 or Dot 5 Your Choice.

To start set your bike on a rear stand or similar to keep the bike upright just to give you more room as you`ll be working on the left side of the bike. Take the Cross head screwdriver and remove the Screw Holding the bracket which keeps you from unscrewing the lid to the Fluid reservoir.

Then Unscrew the lid and set it aside, Take your spanner and loosen the bleed nipple but only just loose not enough to allow fluid to escape yet. I used a ring spanner so I could leave the spanner on while I placed the bleed tube over the nipple. Makes Life a little easier when you want to tighten it as it can be done quickly with one hand also handy incase of spills.

Place your Bleed tube over the nipple and your cup or catch device under the other end of your bleeding device to catch the old fluid. Now Undo the bleed nipple a further half turn which should now allow fluid into the bleed tube.

Next The important Bit to make the job only last 10 mins and not 2 hours of fiddling........... Open your fresh fluid and be ready to top up the reservoir with fluid, Pump your clutch lever as you keep topping up the reservoir with fresh fluid. The old fluid will be pumped out. Keep the reservoir topped up and never allow the fluid level to drop so as the bottom of the reservoir is exposed to the air. This would allow air into your system and that means alot of faffing to get it back out. Keep doing this until all the old fluid is flushed through and only fresh fluid is left in the system. Fill the reservoir to the upper level mark And replace the cap along with the holder which will require screwing back in. Tighten the bleed nipple and replace the rubber cap. Remove any spillage/excess fluid that may be on the nipple. Thats it Job Done.

I used This bleed device which I got of ebay for £2, it is simply to lengths of tubing the right diameter to fit you Bleed nipples with a one way valve in so air cannot get back into your system. there are many available at various expense this cheap one works simple and effectivley.