How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

F4i lower temp fan switch & maybe other models

Old 01-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrandona`
should I just check the wiring and everything?
I'd start with checking continuity at the switch and make sure that hasn't failed internally. If that tests out okay then proceed to trace down each wire coming off the switch and see if something vibrated loose at the other end.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
I'd start with checking continuity at the switch and make sure that hasn't failed internally. If that tests out okay then proceed to trace down each wire coming off the switch and see if something vibrated loose at the other end.
I bought a new switch and it still isn't working. Nothing looks wrong with the wiring so far either...I'll do another check though.

edit: I took some pictures of the wires/switch and stuff. There were a lot of tiny pebbles that blocked the fan from moving, so I cleared them out and it still didn't work.

anyone have any ideas if the wiring is wrong or something? There were only 2 wires going into the switch when I got the bike. A load and a power, no ground wire. and it worked without it. So, idk what happened lol

sorry for the pictures being sideways! they weren't when I downloaded them haha.

Attached Thumbnails F4i lower temp fan switch & maybe other models-img_20110127_152806.jpg   F4i lower temp fan switch & maybe other models-img_20110127_152920.jpg  

Last edited by jbrandona`; 01-27-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by jbrandona`
anyone have any ideas if the wiring is wrong or something?
Wait, are you saying that the fan doesn't come on at all or just not with the manual switch? You could have verified if the old switch was okay by running a continuity check across the contacts when you switched it on and off.

If the fans doesn't come on at all see if you're getting power to the plug at the fan. If not, then make sure the fan fuse is okay.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
Wait, are you saying that the fan doesn't come on at all or just not with the manual switch? You could have verified if the old switch was okay by running a continuity check across the contacts when you switched it on and off.

If the fans doesn't come on at all see if you're getting power to the plug at the fan. If not, then make sure the fan fuse is okay.
Well, I haven't really run it hot enough to see if the fan turns on. It's been too cold to ride haha. I bought a new switch because the old one was getting gross anyway. Only $2 at radio shack.

I'm assuming the plug at the fan are the wires directly connected to it?

and I'm unsure if this is important or not, but on the bottom left corner of there radiator there is a plug just sticking out with no wires connected to it. I don't recall anything being there before, but it looks kind of like something was plugged into it before. You can see it in the picture.

Last edited by jbrandona`; 01-27-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:43 AM

Thanks for the info

Old 02-03-2011, 09:32 PM

Does any one know if this works with a CBR1000RR?

Old 02-03-2011, 11:20 PM

Just hardwire the fan on so it's on all of the time. Never had any problems with my bike when I did that.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by yog182
Does any one know if this works with a CBR1000RR?
I wrote a how-to article, complete with pics, for installing a manual fan switch on the CBR1000RR last year somewhere on here. If yours is an 08+ it will let you turn on one or both fans and it will also still come on automatically when the temp reaches 217*F (fan#1) or 223*F (fan #1 and #2) even if the switch is off.

Edit: Hmm...I can't find it. Maybe it was on another forum. I'll try to track it down and post the complete how-to over here later today in the 1000RR section.

Here it is: Custom Fan Switch for 08+ CBR1000RR

Last edited by RoadiJeff; 02-04-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 PM

Nice write up.. unfortunately i have an '06 and i dont believe its the same.. I know it surely doesn't look the same.. I will look into it though..

Old 02-05-2011, 02:06 AM

So I did what the manual said to do to test if the fan is working...so it should have been running as soon as I turned on the bike. And nay, it did not.

Gah, what should I do now?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F4i lower temp fan switch & maybe other models