How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

F4i lower temp fan switch & maybe other models

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manny38
Hi guys.Is there anyone that can advise me how to get this parts in uk?Thanks alot
you would have to go on advance auto parts or auto zone website nd see if they deliver internationally. Or get the part number nd try nd buy it from a general website like eBay, i know there's alot of sellers there that do international shipping.

DEFENETLY doing this mod soon as i have a spare 35 bucks to spend, i spent $40!! on Engine Ice but that only knocked it down a few degrees, this will def help alot more.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my gf just got a f4i and ive had a few ppl to post a more in depth how to, so when i do hers ill do a step by step how to with pics

Old 09-22-2010, 01:36 PM

i seem to have my 2002 wired up on a switch the same way..fan operates both manually and automaticly buttt
which direction does your fan go? blowing out towards the front or sucking in towards the engine? mine it blowing out, but i want to cahnge that.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no way a fan switch bypass will change the direction the fan blows

Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 PM

so fromt the factory all the fans are blowing out? I wouild think drawing hot engine air and passing throught the radiator would only rise temps, not cool them.
wouldnt it make more sense if outside air passed through radi first? plus it would be the direction of air trabel if you were moving too.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:11 PM

Not sure how to go about getting the part in the UK.

Just finished this mod. Prior to it, fan came on at 225 and was off at 221. First observed fan run was on at 185 and off at 182

Old 10-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Default Lower temp switch mod and MANUAL switch added

I am new to CBR and I just wanted to truely thank Backroad and 914's for their great instructions.

COMPLETE THE MOD AND IT WORKS GREAT.

I have a 2000 CBR F4i which i just bought 4 weeks ago. The fan does not come on until 240 and off @ 238. So, the engine died due to the high heat. This fixed my problem.

1. I got my lower temp switch from Auto Zone and it fits perfectly. The coolant switch location is on the left hand side of the radiator. Took of the old switch and put the old O ring on the new switch and screwed in.
2. Two wire from the new switch, Hook one wire to top of radiator for ground, hook the other wire to the original plug that was plugged onto the old switch (going to the fan).

NOW TO INSTALL THE MANUAL SWITCH.
I just want to clarify to those that are new here, the original plug/wire that is going to the fan is also a negative/ground. So, all you're really doing is to connect the ground to the manual switch and then to that original plug/wire going to the fan. So when you turn the switch on, it gets grounded and the fan turns on. I assume the positive is always active to the fan motor.

3. Now, connect a wire (ground) to the top of radiator going to the manual switch.
4. Connect a second wire to the original plug/wire to the fan. NOTE...if you want the fan to come on BOTH automatically and manually, DO NOT cut the wire completely when doing the connection. Only splice the wire to get to the copper, then connect your new wire here. Run that new wire to your manual switch.

1ST TEST...The fan comes ON @ 209 and OFF @ 205. So, looks like it's working exactly as it should. The fan works perfect both automatically and manually. I can turn on the fan anytime with the switch and it will also turn on automatically by the sensor when temp hits 209.

Last edited by Gansta_F4i; 10-28-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:31 PM

When I bought my 97 F3 a week ago, the guy told me he installed the manual switch for the fan. It worked for the week, but today I took it out for a quick ride and upon return I tried to turn on the fan, and it didn't work. I'm not sure what the problem could be!

Old 01-21-2011, 06:47 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrandona`
It worked for the week, but today I took it out for a quick ride and upon return I tried to turn on the fan, and it didn't work. I'm not sure what the problem could be!
Was the key in the ON position? If he wired it correctly it should only work with the key turned on.

I posted a similar how-to mod with pics on here last year. Mine will turn on one or both fans but will still turn off when the key is off in case someone forgets to turn the switch off. The fans will also turn on automatically if the engine temp rises to 217*F (fan #1) or 223*F (fans #1 and #2).

Old 01-22-2011, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
Was the key in the ON position? If he wired it correctly it should only work with the key turned on.

I posted a similar how-to mod with pics on here last year. Mine will turn on one or both fans but will still turn off when the key is off in case someone forgets to turn the switch off. The fans will also turn on automatically if the engine temp rises to 217*F (fan #1) or 223*F (fans #1 and #2).
Yeah I tried to turn it on while the bike was running, while the bike was off but the key was turned on, while everything was off...should I just check the wiring and everything? I'm not sure why it suddenly stopped working. Nothing has happened that could have bumped the wires and whatnot.

Quick Reply: F4i lower temp fan switch & maybe other models