How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

F4i lower temp fan switch & maybe other models

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yog182
Nice write up.. unfortunately i have an '06 and i dont believe its the same.. I know it surely doesn't look the same.. I will look into it though..
The theory of operation should be the same. You just need to find which is the ground wire that goes to the fan relay and add another ground wire with a switch going to the same spot on the relay socket. I believe the '06 has just one fan, so you wouldn't need the 3-way switch in the how-to. Just a simple on/off.

Originally Posted by jbrandona`
So I did what the manual said to do to test if the fan is working...so it should have been running as soon as I turned on the bike. And nay, it did not.

Gah, what should I do now?
What did the manual say to do to test the fan?

Old 02-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
The theory of operation should be the same. You just need to find which is the ground wire that goes to the fan relay and add another ground wire with a switch going to the same spot on the relay socket. I believe the '06 has just one fan, so you wouldn't need the 3-way switch in the how-to. Just a simple on/off.

What did the manual say to do to test the fan?
Warm up engine.

1.) Disconnect connector from fan motor switch
2.) Ground connector to body with jumper wire.
3.) Turn Ignition switch on, check fan motor.

it didn't start...

Old 02-07-2011, 07:03 AM

Warm up engine.

1.) Disconnect connector from fan motor switch
2.) Ground connector to body with jumper wire.
3.) Turn Ignition switch on, check fan motor.

it didn't start...
Maybe I'm missing something. When you unplug the connector there's nothing at all going to the fan. When you ground it then there's only the ground side going to it. It still needs 12V power to run.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:53 PM

Maybe I'm missing something. When you unplug the connector there's nothing at all going to the fan. When you ground it then there's only the ground side going to it. It still needs 12V power to run.
Do you think the jumper wire is a separate power source? That's really all it says in the .pdf manual I have for the F3 lol.

Idk, I'm taking in to get new tires and all the fluids changed out probably next month...but I'm hoping I don't have to ask the mechanics to take a look at it.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:06 PM

Do you think the jumper wire is a separate power source? That's really all it says in the .pdf manual I have for the F3 lol.
The way you described it the jumper wire is just a ground wire. You still need to supply +12V power from somewhere to the fan to test it.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM

Thanks RoadiJeff, Found the relay on the '06 It is actually found behind the front left faring next to the fuse box.. I will post pictures here in a few.. i will also add to your write up for the 1000RR

Pictures as promised.

The box in the middle to the left of the fuse box is the one you need to splice into.

Put the switch wire into the blue/grey wire seen below (my wire going in is green)

Finally the finished product

Thanks again to all the forums and people that helped with this =)

Last edited by yog182; 02-08-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:47 AM

Has anyone done this recently? I tried searching for the temp switch part numbers that were posted in the original post and they seem to be discontinued and/or nobody stocks them anymore?

Is there another part number/switch that will fit and will come on at a lower temp?

Thanks

Old 07-09-2011, 11:01 AM

Advance Auto Parts no longer lists the part. Autozone still shows the part on their website with the same part # SW524 that was in the original post. If you don't have a local Autozone store you can order from them online or check other parts stores for a fan switch or fan sensor for a 1983 Nissan Pulsar 1.6L engine. Note that some switches may not have the wire pigtails so you can't splice them. Be sure to get a switch like the one pictured on the link below that has the 2 wires and a connector.

Here's a link to the part on Autozone's website.....
Clicky

Last edited by backroad; 07-09-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:19 AM

thanks for the information and the help.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:19 PM

Just a heads up...this part is cheaper on ebay..and more readily available for people who want it Internationally.
I just searched "1983 pulsar fan switch".
Only $5+ $3 shipping on rockauto.com

Last edited by 96shox; 05-28-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: F4i lower temp fan switch & maybe other models