CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   How-To: Mechanical (https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/)
-   -   F4i lower temp fan switch & maybe other models (https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/f4i-lower-temp-fan-switch-maybe-other-models-105389/)

backroad 01-29-2010 07:58 PM

F4i lower temp fan switch & maybe other models

I did this mod with part # TFS517 switch from Advance Auto Parts. You can also use a part # SW524 switch from Autozone. These switches are listed for the '83 Nissan Pulsar. Replacing the switch is simple after removing any fairing that is in the way. Just take the old one out, swap the o-ring onto the new switch, then install it. Do this with the engine cold and have someone there to hold their finger over the hole in the radiator while the switch is out. Leave the radiator cap on so as not to create a vent and you won't lose 2 tablespoons of coolant.

Wiring isn't too complicated. The new switch will have 2 wires terminating in a plug instead of a single spade terminal. Clip the wires close to the plug and crimp a male spade terminal onto one of the wires (doesn't matter which wire as it just completes a ground to energize the fan), then plug the wire from the bikes fan onto it. Splice an 8-10" piece of wire onto the switch's other wire. Crimp a ring terminal onto the other end of it and attach it to the top fan bolt along with its existing ground wire.

My fan is now on at 212, off at 197 instead of on at 225, off at 220 and it's much cooler to ride in traffic.

vangill 01-29-2010 09:22 PM

sweet mod, thanks

jondevos 01-30-2010 12:33 PM

Thanks for the info. Will probably be doing this this year because I get so paranoid when the bike creeps over 100C.

Sick97SS 03-10-2010 12:39 PM

I know im bringing this old thread up but how much did you guys pay for the part#TFS517. i cant find it anywhere for under 35$. But love the sound of lower running temps.

backroad 03-10-2010 01:00 PM

$35 is about what they sell for. I think mine was $33.

yog182 03-16-2010 10:28 PM

Is there pictures that can be made with this?

Engdahl 04-01-2010 08:30 AM

The other thing you can do for the price of a toggle switch is wire it up so you can turn the fan on and off manually as well as having it kick it on its own....that way stopped in traffic you can flick it on before it heats up too much.

newto914s 04-01-2010 04:00 PM

I think I'm going to go the toggle switch route too, but before I do does anyone know if another switch, car or other, would do the job? Other than the pulsar that is.

John Cu 04-02-2010 12:35 AM

Any pics of the wiring?? or the switch?? I dont know if i cant get it here in Mexico...:icon_shrug:

Turbulenz 04-02-2010 03:38 PM

Will this same mod work on an F4? I'll probably check ronayers' fiche to see if the part numbers are the same... but wondering offhand.. Mine runs about in the middle of the idiot gauge... but then again summer hasnt hit yet.

Adam