How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

DIY: F4I Headlight L.E.D DRL Mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been meaning to update this for a few weeks now and have not gotten around to it. My original recommendation for using the v-leds.com to get the strip light LEDs I regretfully retract. After having the lights in for roughly a month and a half, and which time riding was sporadic at the beginning of the year due to weather I am having serious problems these LEDs are causing. In the corners where the LEDs are in close quarters with the clear housing have started fogging up and cracking due to some cheap material used to house the LEDs. The best I can tell it is letting of some type of gas and causing the headlight lens to discolor and crack. I have contacted the company and they are trying to come up with excuses for their product, calling it a "not typical installation," even though I contacted their tech support before ordering and informed them of my intents with the lights. I will probably get refunded for the lights, but I have a feeling the cost of my headlight housing they will brush under the table which is frustrating since it was directly related to their poor product.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 AM

I have almost 2 years with this mod and i dont have any problems...

Old 09-22-2012, 02:41 PM

I did this couple weeks ago but i didnt put them in the headlight, i removed headlight from front facia and applied them to the fascia. i should include that i have the side emit ones and they are switchback so they are white for drl and when i use t signal that side goes out and it flashes amber. turned out good, and reason why i didnt put them in the headlight is incase i dont like them which is still in the air, but way easier to remove.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by TF04F4I
I did this couple weeks ago but i didnt put them in the headlight, i removed headlight from front facia and applied them to the fascia. i should include that i have the side emit ones and they are switchback so they are white for drl and when i use t signal that side goes out and it flashes amber. turned out good, and reason why i didnt put them in the headlight is incase i dont like them which is still in the air, but way easier to remove.
Do you have any pics? finished or during install? I would probably do it your way becuase im too afraid to put my headlights in the oven

+1 for this mod!