How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

DIY: F4I Headlight L.E.D DRL Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What other LEDs are people buying besides the autozone brand? Looking at superbrightled.com, need to call and see if they will be good enough to see during the daylight as well. Not sure if I am going to make amber DRLs and then have them flash when a blinker is on, or just inset some amber lights in for turn signals. Will do it, just need to determine how I want them to function.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by LoneWolf04
What other LEDs are people buying besides the autozone brand? Looking at superbrightled.com, need to call and see if they will be good enough to see during the daylight as well. Not sure if I am going to make amber DRLs and then have them flash when a blinker is on, or just inset some amber lights in for turn signals. Will do it, just need to determine how I want them to function.
Let us know what you come up with!

Old 03-13-2012, 05:55 PM

Well I was about to purchase some from superbrightled.com and then came across a company called v-leds.com and their strip lights look better than superbright's. Autozone came out with the brighter LED strips which are really bright, but not in amber unfortunately. The construction looks very similar to v-leds as far as a larger led surface area and that's what led me to the switch. They are waterproof and the backing is black so it will blend in nicely to the housing. They are also the same 12" length which is nice. They could've been a couple inches longer, but I will deal with it. As soon as they come in I will be installing them, hopefully next weekend, and ill take some pics. Im planning on installing them up to the corners and then down the lower part of the headlight housing until they stop toward the center.

If you are looking for ones that would be long enough to go from one side to another superbright makes a 39" strip that you can cut in the center to length. Both ends have a connector to wire them up individually which is nice, which v-leds is only on one end, which is why I got 2x 12" strips.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:28 PM

I got my headlight housing apart and wanted to see if anyone cleaned off the lense of the old excessive sealant before reinstalling? Also, wanted some input on wiring up my lights. I believe I have it wired correctly but before I make any cuts and wire it up I wanted input. Obviously the front signals are 3 wire, DRL, Turn, and Ground. I want them to run all of the time in the housing and then flash when I activate the turn signals. Attached is how I would have one side wired up with a relay, obviously the other side would mirror this as well. This way when the turn signal is activated, the relay will break the power being supplied to the lights for the DRLs and "flash" with the turn signals being activated.

Attached Thumbnails DIY: F4I Headlight L.E.D DRL Mod-lighting.jpg  
Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my headlight housing apart and wanted to see if anyone cleaned off the lense of the old excessive sealant before reinstalling? Also, wanted some input on wiring up my lights. I believe I have it wired correctly but before I make any cuts and wire it up I wanted input. Obviously the front signals are 3 wire, DRL, Turn, and Ground. I want them to run all of the time in the housing and then flash when I activate the turn signals. Attached is how I would have one side wired up with a relay, obviously the other side would mirror this as well. This way when the turn signal is activated, the relay will break the power being supplied to the lights for the DRLs and "flash" with the turn signals being activated.
I did the same with mine but put them in the air ducts and I just did the Diode trick for the 2 wire LED's.
You split the DRL and T.S. from your fairing lights (As you are already doing) and at the end of both wires positive wires (DRL and T.S.) place a diode then connect both other ends of the diodes to the positive of the LED and your done.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:59 PM

I scrapped my relay idea, it didnt work and moved to the diode idea. I posted in the 2 wire thread as far as my problem goes. I have 3 wire side marker LEDs and when hooking up the 2 wire front LEDs when I activate my turn signals it shuts off the 3 wire side markers. The front 2 wire LEDs in my headlight blink like normal but I dont like losing my side markers and am thinking the only way to get them back is just drop the DRL wire on the side marker LEDs and wire them the same as the front ones in the headlight. Any thoughts?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:19 AM

I scrapped my relay idea, it didnt work and moved to the diode idea. I posted in the 2 wire thread as far as my problem goes. I have 3 wire side marker LEDs and when hooking up the 2 wire front LEDs when I activate my turn signals it shuts off the 3 wire side markers. The front 2 wire LEDs in my headlight blink like normal but I dont like losing my side markers and am thinking the only way to get them back is just drop the DRL wire on the side marker LEDs and wire them the same as the front ones in the headlight. Any thoughts?
Hope this diagram helps.

Name:  diodes-1.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  46.7 KB

Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 AM

That is exactly how I have it wired up at the moment. As soon as I turn my turn signal on my side lights turn off completely instead of flashing like the front ones do.

EDIT: Nevermind, when I changed the turn signals to use a relay a cut the turn wire and I thought I hooked it back up and unfortunately I did not. I started looking over it today and noticed it. Bad things happen when you try to change something and don't put it fully back to stock before you continue. Lesson learned. Thank you jeffjones for the reply.

Last edited by LoneWolf04; 03-27-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:04 AM

Have the lights from V-Led.com installed and they look great. The picture doesn't do it justice from the washout you get from trying to take a picture with HIDs on the bike. One small problem I did encounter was at the bend on the headlight where the lights start to lay flat with the bottom of the housing. In order to prevent the headlight from washing out the lights I actually painted the back side of the light strip that faces the headlights black with a bottle of touch-up paint. This greatly reduced the washout you get from the light going through the clear silicone the LEDs are incased in and causing you not to be able to see the LEDs well. Just a heads up and a recommendation so you don't get everything back together and have to take it apart again.

Attached Thumbnails DIY: F4I Headlight L.E.D DRL Mod-photo1.jpg  
Old 04-02-2012, 11:02 AM

That is exactly how I have it wired up at the moment. As soon as I turn my turn signal on my side lights turn off completely instead of flashing like the front ones do.

EDIT: Nevermind, when I changed the turn signals to use a relay a cut the turn wire and I thought I hooked it back up and unfortunately I did not. I started looking over it today and noticed it. Bad things happen when you try to change something and don't put it fully back to stock before you continue. Lesson learned. Thank you jeffjones for the reply.
No prob, It seems to always happen that way when you go from one way of doing something to another half-way through.
Glad it wasn't to big of a hassle to find the problem.

I did the same wiring as you I just put my strips in the ram air ducts and they are my front turn signals and don't get washed too much with the HID's.

Name:  100_6362-1.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  23.6 KB

Quick Reply: DIY: F4I Headlight L.E.D DRL Mod