How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Angel Eyes/Demon Eyes- how to (1000RR) -lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Demon Eyes- how to (1000RR) -lots of pics

[slightly off-topic] I just went to 1000RR.net and they HATE the angel eyes. Seriously, one guy posted a link to here and they deleted it saying "no more lame attempts to get people over there".... [sm=chairshot.gif] I think someone is missing the bigger picture- its not one site vs another, its about groups of people talking about the things they love

I understand that some people are not going to like them, but 4 pages of bashing on a guy who posted a photo of his angel eyes. I just wanted to say that I am glad that this forum is not like that!

Old 04-05-2008, 02:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Onarom

[slightly off-topic] I just went to 1000RR.net and they HATE the angel eyes. Seriously, one guy posted a link to here and they deleted it saying "no more lame attempts to get people over there".... [sm=chairshot.gif] I think someone is missing the bigger picture- its not one site vs another, its about groups of people talking about the things they love

I understand that some people are not going to like them, but 4 pages of bashing on a guy who posted a photo of his angel eyes. I just wanted to say that I am glad that this forum is not like that!
agreed - it's a personal opinion if you like them or not.. but i have to say, this mod take some time to get done. which brings me to my updated project -I glued, installed and got everything assembled (even put a blue LED toggle switch to turn them on and off) i hooked it up to the battery, put the seat on and then flipped the switch...............

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]- this was me for about 2 hours, I FORGOT THE RESISTORS!!!!!!! i was just at the edge where i wanted to kick my bike over, but instead i threw the screwdriver at the trashcan to get some anger out...

So now i'm back at square one... (i will post some pics of the eyes, but LED are burnt out - so have to get back in and replace them) ok let me go down the list for ya guys..

- when glueing in the eyes onto the headlight covers, ONLY USE MASKING TAPE.. using electrical tape or any type of tape with REAL sticky Adhesive on the headlight coverlens itself will rub off onto it and you WILL not get it off (i have scarred my headlight lens because i positioned and taped my eyes down)
- I tried to use alot of Foil Duct Tape to cover the backside of the angel eyes, but no use - when the headlights are on with angel eyes, they are drowned out by my HIDS (i have 80K HID's) i'm going to try a different method next time around to see if i can get them to be "more visible" with the HIDs...
- the HID's havent melted the eyes or the glue that is holding them up, and i rode for about 2 hours with brights on..

so my second attempt is gonna be with a brighter MCD (bright yellow 30,000MCD - which is 3 times brighter then what i'm using now and hoping it's more of a gold yellow rather then amber). Also i'm going to figure out a method to stop the HID's drowning out the LED eyes. Also I did go pretty small on the eyes, I do like them - but i could swear my bike looks like a mental challenged person with those eyes looking crossed eyed and small haha (yes, i'm a harsh critic to myself) but i'm going to make the next set probably an inch bigger in diameter..Also this time, I won't forget the resistors - I wrote on the positive termial cord "Resistors idoit"
For the headlight covers that are scarred because of an amateur attempt from me - i'm going to invest into some tint covers on them so you cant see the smudge unless i can find another set of them for cheap. But hey, who hasn't screwed up on a DIY before? I just hope people learn from MY mistakes.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:40 AM

awesome workonarom, well detailed, ive stolen very few ideas from other bikes butthis is one im doing, i already have my headlights glow blue but thewould look waaaay beter with yer setup too, very nice work

Old 04-06-2008, 05:16 AM

heres how my lights look now, the ring would look sick, imdoing a yellow and blue 1000RR with blue headlights, i wonder how a yellow ring would look, aaaa yea, i think ill try it!! ill post a pic when done. again excellent how-to!!!THANKSName:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 3536
Size:  47.4 KB

Old 04-07-2008, 01:47 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am seriously considering doing this mod - I have an '01 600CBRF4i which has a different headlight assembly (only one angel eye per side)although I know the procedure will be similar, I want to ask a few things and get some opinions from those of you who know:

1.) What LUMINOUS INTENSITY(mcd) do you guys suggest?
2.) Someone mentioned using a 1/4 watt 270 ohm resistor for the LED's - is this correct? Does it depend on the mcd of the LED?
3.) Once I am done I should have 4 wires running out of the back of each angel eye (if I choose not to do serial connection between the two led's) - can someone post some more detail as to where these ends need to hook up for power? I don't have an "eye" in the centre like the original poster does. I would also like to put a switch on them.
4.) What technique are you guys using to secure your angel eye's to the headlight housing? Kiker14 mentioned using surgical wire... I can picture myself making a mess with the epoxy in the headlight housing while trying to position and place the eyes...

I really appreciate any help/input...

Old 04-07-2008, 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: OsinO
1.) What LUMINOUS INTENSITY(mcd) do you guys suggest?
I would suggest the highest MCD you can find... now your headlights WILL probably drown out the light from the angel eyes while running the bike - but you could live the eyes on if you are parking it for 5-10 minutes.. I'm going to get 30K MCD in a few, so i hope my HID's wont drown out the led's in the eyes while running. But brighter is ALWAYS better - the highest MCD output i've seen is from http://www.besthongkong.com/ . I'm still looking around the internet for higher MCD's but seems like they have the highest (they say), but haven't ordered from them yet.

2.) Someone mentioned using a 1/4 watt 270 ohm resistor for the LED's - is this correct? Does it depend on the mcd of the LED?
electrical is not my strong point, i understand the concept but when you start throwing out watts, volts, ohm's, blah blah blah i become confused... if your gonna have just "One Eye" in each headlight - then you will have 2 LED's per headlight, for a 18K MCD LED - i put them on a 200ohm and nothing went wrong (resistors are pretty cheap, you can get them for a $1 - so buy a few packs like 250's,200's,180's) and then just test your LED's before you start making your eyes... If you connect them as a series, you can use less ohm resistors (like onarom said, he didnt need a resistor with 8 LEDs - from what i remember on the DIY post, he might of put one in tho, but they were ALL in a series)

3.) Once I am done I should have 4 wires running out of the back of each angel eye (if I choose not to do serial connection between the two led's) - can someone post some more detail as to where these ends need to hook up for power? I don't have an "eye" in the centre like the original poster does. I would also like to put a switch on them.
no you dont have 4 wires running out the back of each eye... you have 2 wires (negative and positive) running off the eye - it takes alittle more time to make the series but it's worth it to get rid of 2 other wires. Please watch the video to understand how to do the series (http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...47339061120203) *watch 6:35 and on to figure out how to do a series on your LED*

4.) What technique are you guys using to secure your angel eye's to the headlight housing? Kiker14 mentioned using surgical wire... I can picture myself making a mess with the epoxy in the headlight housing while trying to position and place the eyes...
Any two-part epoxy works great - especially if it self-mixes when pushing on the springe. make sure you secure the angel eyes before applying the epoxy ( AND USE MASKING TAPE!!!!) if any other tape touches the inside of the headlight lens, it will leave a smudge and you will never get it out. It's not really difficult to apply the epoxy - it's more about securing the eyes without taping it to the lens itself. (if it's not secure and moves around, the epoxy takes alot longer to dry, especially if you are holding the eye in place - trust me, you wont stay perfectly still for 7 minutes, I tried)

the switch part is pretty easy, just pick up a toggle switch or whatever you want.The switchshould have 3 prongs on it,which is positive(+), negative(-), and application positive(a+).

-The (+) goes to your bike 12v battery red(+),
-The (-) goes to your bike 12v battery black(-), Also your angel eye negative(-) wires go to the negative(-) on the toggle switch (no reason to send two more wires ALL the way to the battery)
-The (a+) goes to your angel eyes for postive power.. when you turn the switch on, the switch will make a complete circuit and send out t

Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 PM

+1 on everything Vermino said. I checked out this resistor site[URL=http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz] , and without knowing exactly what LED's you are going to buy, it suggested a 470ohm resistor wired like this:

carbonrrpilot- I like the LED accents (not to mention your camera setup). I am thinking about doing some of those as well.

Vermino- Sorry to hear about your misfortune! Any luck getting yours redone?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:33 PM

Thanks so much for your input Vermino and Onarom, particularly Vermino for letting us learn from his mistakes.

Vermino - have you considered using "Goo Gone" to get rid of the gunk/smudge left behind by the other tape you used?

Old 04-08-2008, 12:33 AM

Thanks so much for your input Vermino and Onarom, particularly Vermino for letting us learn from his mistakes.

Vermino - have you considered using "Goo Gone" to get rid of the gunk/smudge left behind by the other tape you used?
well i used electric tape figuring i would just fly by (and not have to go back to home depot to pick up masking tape) but for my haste, that's what i get.. I've used carb cleaner and polish remover (trust me, my profession deals with alot of carb cleaner for gum removals.. so figured it would work)people told me i could buff it out, but i'll try it out when i open her up again for a 2nd time. Also it's not any gunk on it anymore, the carb cleaner wiped that off QUICKLY - it's the after effect of the solvent that left a blemish on the lens that i can feel with my fingers when you run it across it..

just like onarom said, go for a higher resistor at first and ALWAYS test on some of the spare LED's (that mean you need to buy more then you need, trust me - it's worth it... look at me, now im looking for more) but buy your LED's and then go to your local Fry's and pick up a couple of sets of resistors (there only $1 per pack which is like 50 resistors). I would setup a trial series like onarom picture shows and then hook up a 12v source to it (usually a battery charger) and then you can start with 400ohm and start going down from there (i believe going lower lets more "volts is it?" in and let you LED's become brighter) intill you find your ideal resistor (you will know when you blow a LED haha)

And i'm going to start the project again in a week or so... i'm trying to work my @$$ off right now to afford a sandrail - so no time to open up the headlights and bring in a new set...

take your time OsinO - his DIY might of been a couple of paragraph, but myself - i took at least a week (an hour or two every day) to do it... so measure and test as much as you can till you think it's perfect

Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Default RE: Angel Eyes/Demon Eyes- how to (1000RR) -lots of pics

Ok, im love the guide but i was wondering... outside of style is there any other reason that these need to be circles? I was goin to play with some designs for example a N insted of the traditional O shape... I tryed to make an example in paint, please forgive the horrible gfx work lol.. Any thoughts on this concept, will it work?

[IMG]local://upfiles/25540/56100CD8ADBB4D2891B98A10B85A99F2.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Angel Eyes/Demon Eyes- how to (1000RR) -lots of pics