How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Angel Eyes/Demon Eyes- how to (1000RR) -lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Demon Eyes- how to (1000RR) -lots of pics

Nice- its good to know that plexiglass is also an option.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:41 PM

i think i might use the plexiglass method on the rear-vents.. kind-of like this Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 2136
Size:  10.9 KB

Old 03-23-2008, 04:15 PM

just FYI (i'm doing my angel eyes right now) and when you take your rods out of the oven REMEMBER!!!!!!!!!!

Name:  hex_shape_01_full.jpg
Views: 2228
Size:  17.2 KB

thank god mini-blind rods are only $1.89 haha. I suggest buy a few (4 or 5) to make as many rings you can.Then pick the best of them (after cutting indents into the rings)

here is his tutorial in writing and pictures - http://www.geocities.com/jvxdriver/eagle_eyes.htm

Old 03-23-2008, 10:00 PM

^^ Good point.

ALSO--- resistors...

I didn't need them when wiring 4 WHITE ultra-bright LED's together, but if you use color (or less than 4/connection) then you will want to use a resistor. it is fairly safe to go with a 1/4 watt 270 ohm resistor (found at Radioshack for $1)

Here is a helpful calculator that provides help and even a wiring diagram: click here

Old 03-23-2008, 11:53 PM

onarom, what drill bit did you use? also what type of LED did you use (3mm or 5mm?)
seeing how fry's was closed today, I can't get LED's till tomorrow..(i think i'm gonna go Yellow eyes myself, because i have 8000K HID's comming)

ALSO REMEMBER, you can do the indents(cuts)into the angel eyes before you put it into the oven to bend it - this makes it ALOT easier to have all your lines straight..

but thanks for the tutorial onarom and the eyes on yours look awesome, but I don't think an RR would look good with two halos like an F4i

Old 03-26-2008, 03:41 PM

Has anyone had problems with their home made angel eyes melting on them?

I just wondered how much heat comes off the headlights of the bike, and would it be strong enough to melt or warp the blind rods at all?

Old 03-26-2008, 04:35 PM

well i'm putting in HID's into my bike today (which "they" say takes less power and produces less temp) but a standard headlight might start to disfigure them (when they are in the oven at 350 - right when 3 minute rolls around, they will start to bend back and forth (if you oven them once and couldnt get it perfectly circle, you repeat the step in the oven) and this is where you still it start to bend back to it's straight position.. But I couldn't see a headlight produces that much temperature to disfigure them.Maybe other types of methods (like the real angel eyes that are neon bulbs) i've read about one of those types melting due to heat..

im still working on the angel eyes myself.. i went thru about 3 sets of rings (hey, you cant master this on the first try) i finally got a set that looks descent and is up to par. they are "alittle" short but i'm gonna see if they look nice (onarom did full circles, mine are 3/4's because i SUCK at measuring haha) and now im just waiting for superbrites to send the LED's (dont buy those 2.99 knock off LED's, a good intensity is at least 6,000mcd+) also they are 5mm LED's.. you can go to Fry's or radioshack and they will have some nice ones that are around $1-2 per LED.. http://www.superbrightleds.com/leds.htmthey have the best variety (except for blues) and are pretty cheap per LED (you get a discount when buying more then 10+, which you should always have extras)

Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 PM

I used a small drill piece that came with my dremel tool. I would drill a little bit and then break off any melted plastic from the bit and drill some more. It was a bit of a pain and I messed up two of my rings while trying to get the technique down. I would also use a heat gun to help the LED's fit a little better into the drilled holes.

I used 5mm LEDs which is a tight ft into the rings.

I tried cutting the indents into the rods before lacing them in the oven, but they bubbled up on me and ruined (another) set of rings/eyes.

I run with my low-beams off and I turn on my hi-beam at night. I haven't had any melting problems yet. I really don't think that the headlight will get that hot, otherwise the adhesive used to seal the light assemble would also melt. - BUT I might be wrong...

Vermino- be sure to post some pics when you are done! I think that the yellow will look great on your bike!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Onarom

I used a small drill piece that came with my dremel tool. I would drill a little bit and then break off any melted plastic from the bit and drill some more. It was a bit of a pain and I messed up two of my rings while trying to get the technique down. I would also use a heat gun to help the LED's fit a little better into the drilled holes.
I was having the same problem (i used the smallest drill bit that the dremel tool came with) and yeah, melt plastic would get on the tip of the bit and you would have to stop and peel it off or let it fling off (rarely happens) i melted one of my rings because the bit got too hot inside the hole - but i sliced the piece off and started to drill a new hole to practice more.

I used 5mm LEDs which is a tight ft into the rings.
yeah - 3mm would be too difficult unless you hot-glued them in, but the glue would probbly dim the sh*t out of the LED's

I tried cutting the indents into the rods before lacing them in the oven, but they bubbled up on me and ruined (another) set of rings/eyes.
I actually had NO problem with my oven (i used my kitchen over on an grease pan *the kitchen kind* and a layer of tin foil on top so it didnt melt or stick) i would pre-heat to 350 degrees and then put it in for 5 minutes.. you can tell when the rods are almost ready because they will bow alittle bit and THEN go back to being straight - when this happens, take them out and shape it around your shape. (Never pull it around the object nor press down - this will twist, disfigure or mis-shape your ring.) best thing to do is take it out quickly, put it around the object and then wrap it around as fast as you can but with "NO FORCE" - if it starts to harden up, STOP and put it back on the tray and reheat for another 4-5 minutes.. this will make the rod take it's straight form (somewhat) but will make it fexible again and you will just do it again.. (you ARE gonna screw some rings up, so just experiment and have fun the first few times) if you are ballzy - you can take off your guard-plate on your stove-top and set the flame to medium-low and soften certain areas of your ring like that (if it has a small twist.. scrap it if it has an indent from force/fingers or some major flaw in it) doing the flame technique takes some time to learn too, but it saved one of my rings.

just FYI, a flame WILL start to melt the plastic indentsthat you carved into it - so becareful.

I run with my low-beams off and I turn on my hi-beam at night. I haven't had any melting problems yet. I really don't think that the headlight will get that hot, otherwise the adhesive used to seal the light assemble would also melt. - BUT I might be wrong...

Vermino- be sure to post some pics when you are done! I think that the yellow will look great on your bike!
agrees with onarom - i couldnt see these melting even from high-beams.. MAYBE if it was a 117 degree day and you had hi-beams on mid-day, it could possibly happen.
also, i'll post the pics of each color (i got White, Blue and Yellow LED's comming - all around 10K MCD) i wanted to pick up the infra-red and UV led but i seriously dont want to see what kind of fluids have been on people's cars HAHA. I'm also thinking about hooking up a interface audible controller to the angel eyes and turn the sensivity all the way down. So when I start to revv my engine the eyes will glow like it's getting mad (it's an experiment, we will see how it works out)

edited - PS. I've also thought about doing a mold so i can just make multiple rings without going thru the process everytime (i got a couple of buddies that want them but dont want to fork out $100+ for them)

here is some pics of one of my rings (that isnt going into the head-lights, but the LED's are BRIGHT.. it's a "Coast" blue LED 10,000MCD)

Old 03-27-2008, 10:08 AM

Very nice pictures and nice write up

Quick Reply: Angel Eyes/Demon Eyes- how to (1000RR) -lots of pics