How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

08 1kRR hiding spot for Ballasts & Ignitors

Old 10-24-2009, 02:31 AM
Default 08 1kRR hiding spot for Ballasts & Ignitors

So I have been looking for instructions on installing the HIDs to the 2008 1kRR and I have been able to find a few threads but not many, and the way it was hooked up didnt look great.. I finally succumbed to pulling all of my plastics off and taking the time to try all the possible places and finally decided on this....

I know that this isnt going to make much sense to you all unless you take off your front cowl and headlight assembly since I didnt take pictures.. but it was 2 am when I was reassembling and I didnt think about it.

I bought the kit from DDM Tuning (two 55W 6000k H7s), their website for these is http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=107&parent=61 . I think the kit was 85.00 with shipping.

If you are installing the slim ballast HIDs on your 2008-2009 1000RR you can hide the ballasts and ignitors on the headlight housing.

Once you have the front cowl off and you have removed the vacuum chamber there is a large space between the headlights this is where I stuck my ballasts with the provided sticky tape.. I put them on there with the wires facing up. this puts the ignitors in a place where you can secure them onto the top of the headlights.

The wires were easy to run also.. The wires that go to the ballast from the stock harness I actually zip tied to the stock wires that go under the lights, and the wires for the ignitors to the lights I have coming down off the top of the lights.

I will take some pictures and add them up here in the next couple days..

I hope this helps a little for those trying to install the HIDs..

Last edited by rellimdekim; 10-25-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:01 PM

bringing up an old tread.. did you have any draw problems with this? i know with my old 08 i had problems with it. and did you happen to get pictures..?

Old 04-28-2012, 07:56 AM

On my 04 600rr I was able to screw the slim ballasts into the frame and that worked quite well, leaving the ignitors to deal with. You were able to hide both the ignitor and the ballast under the housing?