General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the best chain lube to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was actually afraid to use WD-40 directly on the chain, I soak a rag with it and then cup the rag around the bottom run of chain and slowly turn the tire.
5 or 6 times around and the chain is sparkling clean. My intent was to just remove the wax and dirt build up with it. I dont like anything that slings and makes my bike dirty......

Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hangfire
Was just going to type this myself, lol. Surprising how many people don't know that wd-40 isn't safe for use on O-Ring chains, dries them out and ruins the seals, shortens chain life dramatically. Works like a charm to clean chains prior to lubing, but no matter what don't use it to actually lube the chain.
I want to witness this destruction in action. How can I wreck my chain in the most spectacular fashion with WD-40? What would happen if I soaked some O-rings in a dish of WD-40? Would they crumble into powder?

I used nothing but WD-40 on my last chain. When I changed it at 20,000 miles it had no missing or cracked O-rings and it had not stretched beyond the tolerances listed in the service manual for a new chain. Either Kawasaki put a miracle chain on my bike or WD-40 is perfectly safe for modern O-ring chains.

My CBR has 5,000 miles on it and again, since day one I've used nothing but WD-40 and the chain looks brand new. Is Honda shipping their bikes with miracle chains too? If WD-40 is that bad, shouldn't I be seeing some kind of problems?

Old 04-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend Castrol Chain Wax. The stuff last forever, doesn't attract much dirt, and doesn't sling. It's a green can. Stuff is amazing.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:20 AM

Any just in case any newbs read this, you do NOT clean you chain running it in gear on a stand. Gonna lose your damn fingers......

Old 04-29-2009, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by MC_spirited
Any just in case any newbs read this, you do NOT clean you chain running it in gear on a stand. Gonna lose your damn fingers......
Yep... saw a few threads about it back when I had my R6 on a forum. It would be a little harder to ride with one useful hand.

Last edited by CBRclassic; 04-29-2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: No promoting other bike forums :-)
Old 04-29-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
There is no doubt that WD40 is a cleaning water displacing lubricant..
On small bicycle chains it may be ok...
but on large high powered bikes ...nup
No you've got it 100% backwards. Bicycle chains have no O-rings to hold the grease in to keep the pins lubricated. You need real lube on bicycle chains.

On the main WD40 website , which is tantamount to a shrine for there own product , they do not even mention it as a motorcycle chain lubricant....and they list some 2000 uses including chains , but not motorcycle ones..
This is irrelevant unless the site mentions using WD-40 as a motorcycle chain cleaner. Everybody cleans motorcycle chains with WD-40, so what if that's not listed as a use for WD-40?

It by its nature washes bloody oil and grease off as a cleaner
Sure, but unless you're applying it with a pressure washer, your O-rings keep the WD-40 from washing out the grease that lubricates the pins.

WD40 as bad as it is will allow it to go the distance for sure , but as for it being a suggested powerful bike chain lube ...no where will you find that statement..
Who cares? I've got real world results, what else do I need? "As bad as it is" Please justify that statement with something tangible.

One more fact is that you did not mention, is that WD40 flies off the chain taking all the chit with it, making a bloody mess or your rear wheel "compared with the purpose made products" that do not fling off...

Now , if you try to tell me, a 53 year old that has had prolly 30+ chains on all types of bikes over the 40 years I have been riding , that WD40 does not fling off ... well then I will know that you are not for real
Totally false. That's the exact reason I use WD-40, it's much cleaner than regular "no-fling" chain lube. My wheel and swingarm are never oily or dirty. Maybe you put too much on.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion mate... but I prefer to give the best advise to people that do not know... and WD40 is not the best , nor is it recommended by any professional or experienced riders as a lube , for this purpose.. It is a great motorcycle chain cleaner...that's it..
I've not tried all lubes and am not aware of the judgement criteria, so I don't have an opinion which is best. WD-40 has worked very well for me, and this hysteria about WD-40 destroying O-rings is complete BS.

BTW- your chain looks brand new because it is being cleaned by the WD40
And that's bad because.....?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I concur with Classic ~ WD-40 is an awesome cleaner/degreaser, but a lubricant it is not. Spray some on concrete and it will evaporate in minutes. The problem is that it works too good. Being it's a penetrating oil, it's safe to assume that it will enter past o-rings. There's a million chain cleaners out there and it's not worth the risk, imo.
Here's the most intensive WD-40 vs. chain article I've found: LINK

Old 04-29-2009, 01:41 PM

so if wd40 is so bad for your o-rings, why would you still use it as a degreaser? you are still puting it on your chain...

i dont use wd40 as a lube or degreaser, but im not against it either. i just want to know why most of you are saying 'hell no, dont use it as a lube' but yet you still clean your chain with it...

Quick Reply: what is the best chain lube to buy???