General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WELDERS ADVICE NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WELDERS ADVICE NEEDED

ok so i busted a hole in my motor. the stator case was busted open and one of the mounts came off with it, leaving a small chunk off the motor broken off. IS this gonna be possibe to weld back up or what should i do. I was told that its alluminum and magniesium.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: WELDERS ADVICE NEEDED

I gotta see pictures. It sounds like the cover is a lost cause. May be able to re-attach the motor piece though. It's not a real stress area -- you just gotta make sure it doesn't leak.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Retired Administrator

I've seen one guy weld aluminum back on bikes good... a guy a ride with laid his bike down and broke the right rear set where the break mounts to it. He welded it back on and it looks like a new one. You have to find someone that really, really, really knows what they are doing. Not a self taught week-end welder. The guy that did this job weld on aircrafts for the Navy.... kind of under a microscope if you know what I mean and he has to practice a lot.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:55 PM

Yep....You need to find a guy that does heli-arc welding for aluminum.....A good place to start is a shop that specializes in aluminum boat prop repair....

Old 03-25-2006, 04:01 AM

It could probably be done and work, Like chainstretcher said, Make sure it doesnt leak.

I use to weld seat frames for toyota, but that was mig welding and spot welding.

Daniel Thompson

Old 03-26-2006, 04:16 AM

NO NO NO NO!!!
I’m a welder, not just any old shop welder doing it on the weekend in my shop. I’m an instructor, a journeyman, a degree in metallurgic (chemistry, putting metals together) and I have a little more than a half dozen welding certifications in T.I.G., M.I.G., and S.M.A.W. in the 6G (position) by A.W.S. (American Welding Society). So I know a little when it comes to this stuff.

The metal that the rear set is made out of is a solid allow like T6 aluminum, but and this is a BIG but, the metal that your engine is made out of is very low grade stuff, it has a LOT of junk mix with it to make it light, strong, and CHEAP. If you weld on it, it may work for a day but I don’t give it any longer than that, because it’s cast aluminum and low grade allows, it may look like regular aluminum like on the rear sets but it’s not! The low grade allows make it weld and blend like $h!t and just will not stay together very good. Just get a new one, sorry for the bad news but it’s the truth and I don’t want to read about you on this site. Trust me!

Old 03-26-2006, 11:01 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with seabee -- that's why I said post up a picture so we could see exactly where it was broken.