CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

getting a 97 f3, help and advice needed

Old 07-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting a 97 f3, help and advice needed

Hello, im mike
I've just joined the forum, Hope everyone is good,
I've done a wee bit of reading but could do with a little help,
Basically (im in sunny ol England) i have a 97 cbr 600 arriving in 2 days time, 19,000miles, just been serviced,
I've come up with a list of things which will need doing (dont really trust people when they say it just been serviced!)
Brake pads all round
Stainless braided brake hoses
Fork rebuild
coolant flush
carb balance?
coolant hoses?
fuel lines
fuel filter
fuelpump? are they prone to failing? is it worth getting a rebuild kit and doing it now just in case?
Also i heard about cam chain tensioners? could any body shed some light on this (recently changed the tensioner on my single cylinder bobber)
Can any one suggest any other things to do- or check?

i must add, im not looking for performance, just pure reliability (i reckon itl have enough performance for me as standard)
Also it will be used as a pillion bike for my girlfriend (1st pillion i would of taken, so a little nervous)
ive been riding for about 5 years (21 now had, ped, 250cc chinese thing, rs 125 (bag of poop), 650 suzuki savage bobber, gpz 500, yzf 750 genesis, zxr 400, yamaha diversion 600, 125 thing, still got a 400cc suzuki savage bobber)

any links would be greatly appreciated,
also thinking of new grips, bar ends, and levers (these will be cheap though as not necessities)

Many Thanks

Old 07-25-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by milkymilly
Hello, im mike
I've just joined the forum, Hope everyone is good,
I've done a wee bit of reading but could do with a little help,
Basically (im in sunny ol England) i have a 97 cbr 600 arriving in 2 days time, 19,000miles, just been serviced,
I've come up with a list of things which will need doing (dont really trust people when they say it just been serviced!)
Brake pads all round
Stainless braided brake hoses
Fork rebuild
coolant flush
carb balance?
coolant hoses?
fuel lines
fuel filter
fuelpump? are they prone to failing? is it worth getting a rebuild kit and doing it now just in case?
Also i heard about cam chain tensioners? could any body shed some light on this (recently changed the tensioner on my single cylinder bobber)
Can any one suggest any other things to do- or check?

i must add, im not looking for performance, just pure reliability (i reckon itl have enough performance for me as standard)
Also it will be used as a pillion bike for my girlfriend (1st pillion i would of taken, so a little nervous)
ive been riding for about 5 years (21 now had, ped, 250cc chinese thing, rs 125 (bag of poop), 650 suzuki savage bobber, gpz 500, yzf 750 genesis, zxr 400, yamaha diversion 600, 125 thing, still got a 400cc suzuki savage bobber)

any links would be greatly appreciated,
also thinking of new grips, bar ends, and levers (these will be cheap though as not necessities)

Many Thanks
If you feel like replacing all those items, then by all means. But with 19k miles, some of the items may bee good. I would change all the fluids, filters, and check the pads. Then I would ride it and go from there. The fuel pump can be rebuilt cheaper, but only if it needs it. If the cam chain is not making irregular noises, I would not replace the CCT yet. If the bike was taken care of, you should get plenty of riding out of it. The motors are almost bulletproof. Enjoy it. They are great bikes!

Old 07-25-2013, 03:49 PM

Hello,
I would check up on all the regular maintenance parts. I wouldnt worry about replacing the hoses unless they are dry, cracking or cut.
Clean and sync the carbs
Clean or replace the air filter
New spark plugs
New fuel filter
Check valve clearance
Check sprockets and chain
Makes sure you got good tires
rebuilding the forks is a good idea should be done about every 11,000 along with the valves

As far as the CCT taking off the 8mm bolt in the middle where the spring tentioner is run a bit of oil through working it in and it should be fine.

The fuel pump can be checked by removing the black cap on the opposite side from the fuel lines. you will see a set of contacts that will rapidly switch on and off when the bike is running. If these look like they are worn you can just replace that switch rather than replacing the entire pump.

I would also look into replacing the R/R with a newer style. The old style ones without cooling fins often fail from overheating.

Hope this helps

Old 07-25-2013, 03:55 PM

Also in the General tech section you can find a lot of "how to's" but nothing is as good as a factory service manual, although they are expensive...

I used to have a FZR gen too, I miss that bike it was a lot of fun..

Old 07-27-2013, 02:28 AM

Hey guys thanks for the advice,
Bikes coming today so shall have a better look at all those bits, turns out he has the reciept for the spark plugs, oil and oil filter and air filter, which is good, also knew chain and sprockets, and new michelin pilot tires
whats this about a secondary air filter?
ill ride it for about 3 week,s to any work happens (need to save some pennys) and itl only be about 60 miles a week for now.
i'll attempt the fork rebuild myself, and get my believe it or not trusty bike garage to do the carbs and valves.
will update soon with a few pics,

i loved my yzf 750 was in mint condition 17500 miles from new imaculate, but it scared me (was only 18 and used to 33bhp custom bobber, i.e very slow) so i sold it for about 790 they just wernt selling a few years ago but now they've shot up in price.... buggers