General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise

I have a weird noise kinda sounds like metal rubbing plastic or bouncing off of it, it happens at low speeds only. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Old 06-30-2009, 04:24 PM

You kinda gotta tell us where it's coming from.

Barring that, I'd start looking anywhere that plastic comes close to moving metal parts: Chain, fenders, wheelhugger. . .

Old 06-30-2009, 05:15 PM

is it only on certain roads? or anytime your going slow no matter where you are?

check your front brakes. Next time you hear the noise, slightly apply your brakes and see the noise either changes or goes away.

The other thing to consider is the noise is probably always there, its just you can hear it at low speed because the engine and wind noise are no longer drowning out the noise.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Angry

So my dad took it out for a ride last night and said that its the chain, from when I took my bike in to get the rear tire replaced they didnt tighten the chain all the way in hopes that I would buy I new one becuase it was "going bad". I think they should tighten it for free if not more, becuase thats just bogus business, and life threating.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by sdpbob
So my dad took it out for a ride last night and said that its the chain, from when I took my bike in to get the rear tire replaced they didnt tighten the chain all the way in hopes that I would buy I new one becuase it was "going bad". I think they should tighten it for free if not more, becuase thats just bogus business, and life threating.

That's a serious accusation to make, and I wouldn't call a loose chain life-threatening. Even if it comes off completely, and in a turn, all that happens is you coast. Also, a bike shop leaving the chain too loose in order to trick a rider into buying a new chain is preposterous. Everyone who owns a bike knows how to check and adjust chain tension, as it's part of routine ownership maintenence, like clutch and throttle adjustment, or oil changes. They know the first thing you're gonig to do is look at the chain and say "Oh, the chain's just loose," and fix it, so why would they bother?

Trust me, they already made 80 - 100 points on the tire (if you bought retail), and probably 30 points on the install (incl. overhead), so they have no motivation to be scamming you into a chain. Even if they DID, they're going to throw a sales pitch at you, not risk their business license (and potential jail time) by poking your chain a bit and hoping you come back to spend another paultry $100. That's like letting half the air out of your tires in hopes that you'll go "OMG! I need all new tires and rims!!!" You both know better.

Instead of taking a chunk out of your day to go and fight with some guy who may or may not have done anything wrong (aside from honestly leaving too much slack in the chain), why not take the 10 minutes it takes to fix it yourself, and use the rest of that time to enjoy riding on your new tires?

Last edited by johnnyx; 07-01-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnyx
That's a serious accusation to make, and I wouldn't call a loose chain life-threatening. Even if it comes off completely, and in a turn, all that happens is you coast. Also, a bike shop leaving the chain too loose in order to trick a rider into buying a new chain is preposterous. Everyone who owns a bike knows how to check and adjust chain tension, as it's part of routine ownership maintenence, like clutch and throttle adjustment, or oil changes. They know the first thing you're gonig to do is look at the chain and say "Oh, the chain's just loose," and fix it, so why would they bother?

Trust me, they already made 80 - 100 points on the tire (if you bought retail), and probably 30 points on the install (incl. overhead), so they have no motivation to be scamming you into a chain. Even if they DID, they're going to throw a sales pitch at you, not risk their business license (and potential jail time) by poking your chain a bit and hoping you come back to spend another paultry $100. That's like letting half the air out of your tires in hopes that you'll go "OMG! I need all new tires and rims!!!" You both know better.

Instead of taking a chunk out of your day to go and fight with some guy who may or may not have done anything wrong (aside from honestly leaving too much slack in the chain), why not take the 10 minutes it takes to fix it yourself, and use the rest of that time to enjoy riding on your new tires?
I'm going to have to agree. Adjust your chain properly and enjoy the ride.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:25 AM

See the problem is that me being a first time bike ower and what not thought that the chain would come off and cuz me to crash cuz I wouldnt know what to do incase that were to happen. I have seen a harley go down because the chain broke and wrapped around the rear tire. Anyways I dont know how to tighten the chain, do to the fact that I just bought the bike and didnt come with a owners manuel and I dont know much about bikes, just how to ride them pretty much. So can you guys help my on how to tighten it?

Old 07-02-2009, 09:56 AM

Grab the manuals from thsi thread:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-stickies-106/please-post-manual-sites-here-46596/

You should really familiarize yourself with the routine maintenence, as you often have to do it several times a season. You gotta remember: these things aren't big, clunky cars; they're little more than a few lawn mower engines strapped to a Big Wheel, and there's a lot of screws to constantly tighten, tensions to check, ect etc etc

Old 07-02-2009, 11:29 PM

So we tightened and lubed the chain and took it for a ride around town and tonight when I got home we checked the chain and it was loose again, so I think were going to get a new chain.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:20 PM

Drive chains don't last forever. They get streached out & can wear unevenly, causing the chain to have "tight" spots. Poor maintenance accelerates the wear. There should be indicators on the chain adjusters that show when the chain is streached beyond the service limit (requiring replacement).