General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird noise

When I brake hard, there is this metal clinking sound from the front of the bike, more like coming from the tri-tree area. The bike doesnt make any weird sound when I just push down on the handle bars.
Any ideas?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hikeetech
When I brake hard, there is this metal clinking sound from the front of the bike, more like coming from the tri-tree area. The bike doesnt make any weird sound when I just push down on the handle bars.
Any ideas?
Get the front off the ground and turn the bars side to side, if you hear any crunching/grinding then you probably have knackered headstock bearings. Try pulling the front wheel forwards and backwards, any movement indicates knackered wheel bearings. Also see if it could coming from the calipers.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by DonnyBrago
Get the front off the ground and turn the bars side to side, if you hear any crunching/grinding then you probably have knackered headstock bearings. Try pulling the front wheel forwards and backwards, any movement indicates knackered wheel bearings. Also see if it could coming from the calipers.
Thank you! I will try to take a look at it when I get home tonight. The only problem is how I can get the front end off the ground, I do have a rear stand tho.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:16 AM

I did a bit of research on 'headstock bearing' and some member mentioned to undo the left pinch bolt and retighten it after bouncing the forks. I am noob so here is my dumb question, where is the pinch bolt located?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:03 PM

I would equate the "headstock bearing" to an upper or lower head bearing, or steering stem bearing. (Same thing) Easiest way to check, is to apply the front brakes, and then try and push the bike forward, then back- like rocking it front to back. see that big bolt right in the middle of the handlebars? there are bearings in there to make steering smooth top and bottom. you have an older bike, so these can be suspect, and not a big pain in the rear to change, but a big pain in the rear if you don't have the tools….

Old 07-20-2011, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by hikeetech
I did a bit of research on 'headstock bearing' and some member mentioned to undo the left pinch bolt and retighten it after bouncing the forks. I am noob so here is my dumb question, where is the pinch bolt located?
First off, the only dumb question, is the one you don't ask. Seriously.

Second off, I don't know what it would solve, but the pinch bolts are on the upper and lower triple trees. (the one at the top with the big nut) and the bigger one at the bottom. Now there are bolts on the sides of the clamps that "pinch" the fork tubes, and they are essentially what hold the forks on, and where they are on the bike. maybe the member thought they could be placing pressure on the bearings???

IMHO, Check the steering stem bearings- if they're good, look over EVERYTHING that has to do with your front brakes. EVERYTHING! the rivets on the rotors, the bolts on the calipers, the calipers, the pads, etc. If there is a fly sitting on your brake line, introduce yourself, and get to know it. I swear to god that this part of your bike is the FIRST PLACE you want to be PERFECT. Anyone can get to over a hundred MPH in a few seconds. But you want to be sure that you can get back to ZERO exactly when you say so.

In short, don't stop until you figure out whats making the noise.