General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

War vet needs help with 06 F4i starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol yeah I knew from when it still jumped I'd need to drop it again. Hate to hear it but that's how all these things are. Ya beat them up, race em, cruise for hundreds of miles and let it sit forever things tend to break.

Anyways yeah it's not as soon as I hit 2nd and 5th cause It will ride in then just fine, its more when it hits higher RPM's or when I roll on it hard. And yeah breakin it down past the head is always a pain.. Guess I gotta figure it out eventually though. Thanks for all the input and the help. I think I'm gonna wait a bit before I go back at this thing. Ride it easy and hope for the best. How long would u recommend me push it if at all before repairing again? Is it safe to ride like it is? Will it lock the tranny up or anything? Y'all said when pieces break of course it tears stuff up but I already removed (hopefully) all the broken chunks and stuff.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mxfreestyler45
Lol yeah I knew from when it still jumped I'd need to drop it again. Hate to hear it but that's how all these things are. Ya beat them up, race em, cruise for hundreds of miles and let it sit forever things tend to break.

Anyways yeah it's not as soon as I hit 2nd and 5th cause It will ride in then just fine, its more when it hits higher RPM's or when I roll on it hard. And yeah breakin it down past the head is always a pain.. Guess I gotta figure it out eventually though. Thanks for all the input and the help. I think I'm gonna wait a bit before I go back at this thing. Ride it easy and hope for the best. How long would u recommend me push it if at all before repairing again? Is it safe to ride like it is? Will it lock the tranny up or anything? Y'all said when pieces break of course it tears stuff up but I already removed (hopefully) all the broken chunks and stuff.

hmmm. i mean, there could be danger - i don't know what you call them, but those big teeth on the sides of the cogs by the countershaft and input shaft that let them interlock - they're sliding around in there. if they come out of contact and were to lock back up instantaneously when they're spinning at different speeds - it could snap a chunk off i guess and then it could cause a lock up. thats really unlikely, but i wouldn't say "oh ya man, go ahead and ride it". i mean, what if it slips out going around a corner - you may not have enough room to keep it on the road. and it could strand you somewhere too if it finally gives up on you. it's going to get worse.

i'm sure you did get all of the chunks out of there and what not from the first time. but i remember reading this article on trannies - sportbike transmission cogs experience an insane amount of pressure. on some gears under full go, the article said that some of the cogs had 100,000 psi on them. and you add to that fact that the trannies have a fairly large amount of play in them from the start for heat and oil - i'm not sure how much i'd risk riding around with something that's even looser - for lack of a better term