General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

War vet needs help with 06 F4i starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default War vet needs help with 06 F4i starting

Hey everyone, thanks for reading. Pretty much to make a very long story short, my most recent project upon returning from deployment caused many broke bolts. All have since been replaced. Let me also say I am the only owner of this bike and have rebuilt it many times. Anyways it's all back together, all fluids back in it, new battery. Went to finally start it up after 2 years of being apart and in pieces... And "click". The dash and lights all come on, fuel pump wines when u turn it on, but I hit the crank button and just one click. I checked all fuses, triple checked all the wires I could see. I had an F1 solid light on the dash, after hours of researching I finally fixed it and cleared it out. Still just one stupid click.
If anyone has anything to try please let me know, been a few days now and hate to have to re-break the motor back down but I will if I have to. Feel free to reply on here or my personal email at bamabiker345@yahoo.com. Just a life long rider tryin to ride again.

Oh also in a few months ill be going to MMI in Orlando for Honda tech so no job is to hard to do its The troubleshooting that I don't quite know yet hah.

Thanks again in advance, hope to hear some helpful info soon.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:37 PM

Well I see I have like 40 views and no help yet... If anyone knows of a different site I can look on for help let me know. I figured if anyone could help it'd be the CBR forum... If anyone needs more details please let me know lol. Been off the bike 2 years, 2 kids, about to move again, would really like to ride again soon. Did I post this in the wrong section? Hah anything? Sorry not trying to be rude or anything at all, true riders could see my frustration cause of how much work I've put into this and its always a new problem. Just tryin to get a little help for possibly the last problem before I can ride it again.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 PM

Also... Tried callin to like 10 different Honda dealers for help in random states but they all kept telling me to bring the bike to them to see.. Is this not a world where people do thier own work anymore?

Old 06-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Where is the click coming from? The relay or starter?

Does the motor roll over by hand?

Old 06-18-2013, 03:10 AM

Have you tried to push start it? Is the battery good and fully charged?

Old 06-18-2013, 05:28 AM

The click comes from the relay on the back, I can tap the starter wire to the battery and it does spark and try to turn. And no can't really push start it cause I live on a short gravel road with no hills...
I already tried to switch the 2 relays also and still no change. As for the battery I have a jump box that I stuck on it also after my first failed start and still nothing but that one click

Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Do you have good voltage on the big wire into the starter relay constant, and out (to the starter) when trying to start?

Old 06-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mxfreestyler45
The click comes from the relay on the back, I can tap the starter wire to the battery and it does spark and try to turn. And no can't really push start it cause I live on a short gravel road with no hills...
I already tried to switch the 2 relays also and still no change. As for the battery I have a jump box that I stuck on it also after my first failed start and still nothing but that one click
if the starter motor turns the bike over when you touche the power wire to the batter - it's probably the relay. but the bike should run if you do that. did you just quickly test it? or did you try to get the bike to run when you held that wire to the battery?

Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 AM

@ demon- I have the big wire on the starter disconnected from battery right now, honestly not sure where to connect it to completely..
@conrice- I haven't tried to turn it all the way from that way yet, it sparks like crazy when I tap it to the + side of battery and try's to turn but I let go before it goes all the way.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mxfreestyler45
@conrice- I haven't tried to turn it all the way from that way yet, it sparks like crazy when I tap it to the + side of battery and try's to turn but I let go before it goes all the way.
well you don't want to do it really any longer than you are. it will try to weld itself to the battery if you have it on there too long. i've jumped the starter wire to the battery wire on a fried starter relay before (my bronco's relay has gone out multiple times) - actually that's how i started my bronco a few times after the relay went out - but i've never touched it to the actual battery terminal. all i'm saying is be careful.

if that starter motor is kicking with the battery, that means there's enough juice to get it done. i'm sticking with "its the starter relay". they are relatively cheap too. if it's not that, my guess would be that there is some sort of short in the system that you jump when you unplugged the battery cable to do your little experiment with jumping the starter motor off the battery.

instead of risking welding your starter wire to your battery, just buy the relay and try it. i'm not sure how many amps that battery of yours could put out, but im sure it's enough to slightly weld it

Quick Reply: War vet needs help with 06 F4i starting