General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn signals dont work

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signals dont work

I have seen this post before on here but I'm not finding my answer.
I bought a 2001 F4i from this nut job that wired everything like a retard and im slowly running into electrical problems where things don't work!

First my RPM tach stopped functioning and would only work once in a LITTLE while.
Then it was my brights that would no longer switch on and now all the sudden my turn signals done work!

He has an intergrated tail on it so for some reason he has wires cut and switched all over to work with what ever he was doing. the signals worked all season for me but towards the end i had to replace them with these LED's that were a hell of a lot better. after the switch ( same connection he used ) my turn signals worked when they wanted. its winter right now so im trying to wrap all this up to ride again and this is the last thing along with the rest of the electrical im working on. I feel like its a connection somewhere because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but i cant find anything that would look bad. Is there such a thing as a relay that could hang up or is that something that just works or dies?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing I would do is completely undo everything, then redo it the right way. Soldering connectors for the signals, and any other hacked up connections, cap off the unused running light wires, and any others, heat shrink everything then tape everything up nice, tight, and neat.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:07 PM

I agree... redo everything. I just got done doing some work on my bike I got . I was putting on the integrated tail light. The stock on only the tail light worked.. the brake lights and turn signal didn't work. I took the tail end apart to find wires cut and not even taped for the brake light and turn signals. That first owner was a complete idiot.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:18 PM

Honestly, re-do the wiring. You can find the diagrams online and if you have some patience, you can do it yourself. Check fuses and relays. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:29 PM

thanks guys, ill rip it all apart and correct all these loose ends.

quick thought tho, even when my tail lights are not hooked up the indicator on my gauge does not show a working turn signal.

I'll maybe try to put this simple.

tail lights connected, sometimes will work when it wants to ( with indicator in gauge showing orange blinking arrows )

tail lights not connected with loose ends NOT touching anything else, blinking indicator on gauge works sometimes and sometimes not.

I pulled apart the little box with the horn, brights, and blinker but everything looked sound and perfectly tight and connected in side, i even blew it out with an air hose and put some new grease in it. I thought that would have been the problem but it seems fine.
I'll get into the harness its self deeper and hope i can find something loose or hacked up from the 10 year old electrician

Old 03-06-2010, 08:53 PM

aright i just found the problem and need to know the best way to fix it.
i really wiggled around and pushed and pulled the plugs on the main wiring harness in the front of the bike and i watched the gauge and noticed when i pulled the plug a certain way the blinkers would work. It's obviously a weak connection in the plug of the harness but im confused how to fix it because it fits super tight and it only takes a little pressure to get it to work. im not to worried about selling the bike soon so im thinking would it be a good idea to cut out the connector completely and make my own slip connectors for each individual wire so i know they are all getting a solid positive connection?

Also this is the same problem with my RPM Tach, i squeezed and ripped on the 2 connectors running to the gauge and at a certain point of pulling my needle would come back to life.

how else could i fix this connection before i cut it all out and go through every single wire making a clean easy connection?