General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp gauge not working on 900RR.....Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp gauge not working on 900RR.....Ideas?

Ok, finally got my bike running good. For the first time in awhile now, I can go out and ride and not worry about her breaking down on me for whatever reason. She goes in saturday to get a new set of Metzler M1 tires. Only one problem remains.

My temp gauge quit working on me a few weeks ago. It was working just fine till I replaced my ignition switch. Once I had the bike apart and replaced the ignition switch and got the bike together, I noticed the temp gauge wasn't working at all. The fans come on like they are supposed to, but the needle on the gauge doesn't move. I'm sure it's something unhooked or pinched, but any ideas where to look? I pulled the tank and checked to make sure the wire on the temp sensor was still hooked up, and it is. I did the trouble shooting in the FSM to make sure the gauge wasn't bad. Everything seemed to check out ok. Any ideas where to check next?

Old 03-11-2005, 12:27 AM
Default RE: Temp gauge not working on 900RR.....Ideas?

i have the same exact problem, i was just gonna post and ask the same question. let me know if you find out anything.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:31 AM

Almost sounds like a grounding problem. Trace your wires to ground and make sure they arent cut or pinched. I have noticed that these bikes have VERY touchy ground systems. Just my $.02

Old 03-12-2005, 06:36 AM

Heres what you need to check. There are two components to the gauge, the gauge in your instrument cluster and the sensor itself. First thing I would suggest is to check all your fuses...if no luck try the following: Try disconnecting the wiring from the sensor and turning on your ignition. The gauge should read cold, use a piece of wire and ground the connector to a good ground and check the gauge it should jump all the way over to hot (WARNING: only ground the wiring long enough to see if the gauge moves otherwise you could damage the gauge) If the gauge moves it is probably a bad sensor. I take no responsibilty for damages caused by this procedure but can assure you it is perfectly safe if done only long enough to test the gauge. Seeing as how you were working near the gauge itself and ill assume it was working previously, definately check the connections at the gauge itself and look for cut or cracked wiring.

Old 03-28-2005, 04:45 AM

the frist time i replaced the clutch in my bike i pinched the the black wire that runs from the sensor up past the clutch cover. i did learn that the temp gauge does not work well when you try to put it in the motor.

hope you get it good luck