General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped down fixed up 89' CBR600f Hurricane, good for beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:10 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great starter bike. I think a little pricey but it also depends on what he has done to it I guess. I've had my 90 about 2 years is my first nine on the road with very minimum prior riding experience and I love it. It has enough power and good enough handling to stay with my buddies f4i and 954 just everyday riding and isn't overly uncomfortable definitely recommend it

Old 09-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine
I know my 1994 600 had 100HP from the factory and was top of the line when it was made. Today according to this article on wikipedia they come with 102.2HP.

A whopping 2.2HP more in 18 years. Of course todays bikes are better, better delivery of the power, better weight, brakes etc...

no, that would be comparing rwhp to crank hp. they're not even close power wise. todays 600's are rated over 120hp at the crank

Old 09-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I'm inclined to agree with That Guy In Main. 600's are not very forgiving in many ways. They sit taller, they're heavier, the throttle is very responsive as are the brakes. When you're starting to learn to ride you've got so many things on your mind and skills that you're trying to learn. Having a bike that is more forgiving I think can enhance the learning process.

I know for myself, I don't like "practicing" a particular skill on my 600. The thought is always running through my head about dropping it and doing $500 or $1000 in damage to the fairings. Now, is that likely to happen, probably not. But that thought is always there. Last year my wife and I picked up a 2004 250 Rebel. It's a lot of fun to ride and it's the bike of choice for us when we're wanting to practice slow speed skills like U turns and what not. I can tell you now that I'm a better rider for having purchased it. Do people start on 600's, sure they do. Do they survive the learning process, yea. But I'd argue that they would have been better suited by starting on a smaller bike to build a better skills foundation.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
I'm inclined to agree with That Guy In Main. 600's are not very forgiving in many ways. They sit taller, they're heavier, the throttle is very responsive as are the brakes. When you're starting to learn to ride you've got so many things on your mind and skills that you're trying to learn. Having a bike that is more forgiving I think can enhance the learning process.

I know for myself, I don't like "practicing" a particular skill on my 600. The thought is always running through my head about dropping it and doing $500 or $1000 in damage to the fairings. Now, is that likely to happen, probably not. But that thought is always there. Last year my wife and I picked up a 2004 250 Rebel. It's a lot of fun to ride and it's the bike of choice for us when we're wanting to practice slow speed skills like U turns and what not. I can tell you now that I'm a better rider for having purchased it. Do people start on 600's, sure they do. Do they survive the learning process, yea. But I'd argue that they would have been better suited by starting on a smaller bike to build a better skills foundation.
I agree any bike that you sit up straight is a better bike to learn on than one you are leaning forward, especially when you have to come to a quick stop! That's why my 84 cb700sc was a great bike to learn on (and it did 150mph which kept me on it for many years ).

Old 09-22-2012, 12:36 PM

I know my new 2012 CBR250R makes you more upright than my 600 does. The body position on the 600 is much more hunched over and I feel I have WAY more control on the 250 because of my body position.

Not saying the 600 is a bad bike or that people can't learn on them, I'm just saying that a 250 is a better bike to start on, and there are reasons in other countries that people are forced to start on smaller CC bikes.

Conrice, I thought newer bikes had more HP than the 94...I just did a quick google and I remembered my 600 had 100HP at the crank, the wikipedia I found said a new 600rr had 102 but didn't say wheel or crank, my mistake for not checking but I was sorta in a rush.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well i guess i'm going to have to throw my two cents in, only because i learned on a six hundred..
and the the fist day i picked my bike up someone left the key on and killed the battery... the bike shop was about to close so there was no way i was leaving my new bike at the dealership that night.. i was 16 1/2.. just too excited to allow it to trickle charge... and of course i jump on it only knowing how to drive a moped(at the time) not knowing how to shift gears i stalled at every red light for five miles and had to run and jump start (roughly 8 lights or nine counting one stop sign) and then learned the gears on a slower highway (55mph) and by the time i got to the top of that highway my battery was charged and i knew how to ride a motocycle..
i never had any regrets.. i guess something does come to mind that you def look into.. is a motocycle class i your area or even if your state sponsors some kind of class, i would def take it.. your insurance will go down, if its a state sponsored class you find.. most likely a motocycle cop will probably teach it and the likelyhood of that same cop pulling you over later and giving you a ticket maybe cut in half depending how well your liked at the class.. always asks lots of questions.. cops enjoy having answers, i think it makes them feel good 9being helpful) on the otherside of that, it will just be good for you..
heres my biggest thing::: you should take care of the day you buy whatever you decide...along with a decent helmet get yourself knuckle protected gloves, padded jacket and not a cheap one!!! something that will allow you to slide over the pavement without smelling like you just came from a self induced bbq "Mantender" 250/600/1000.. the ground is the ground.. a tree is a tree, get it!!!
and dude, good luck!!! getting involved with motocycling is one of the best decisions i ever made in my life.. love to the core.. and so will you..

Old 09-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

well, that motorcycle that he's inquiring about makes 74hp at the rear wheel. - that's pretty much what a newer SV650 makes - which we can all agree is a great starter bike and great bike to have.

you guys are talking about 600's in the sense that he's wanting a 600rr. remember back in the day when the bike in question was new - it was suggested that riders started on a 600.

the whole "oh, a 600 will kill you nowadays" didn't come until much later on. late 90's, 2000's.

it has 26 degrees of rake - that's not at all like sportbikes today that are 21-23 degrees. the brakes aren't overkill either.

450lbs wet - that's pretty much what the new bikes of today weigh (of course his with no fairings is going to be lighter).

you have to understand - a 1994 600 is light years ahead of this thing of a hurricane600. the hurricane was built when bikes weren't so "task specific" like: track riding - street riding - commuting - adventure touring. this bike had to do a bunch of things. it's a lot mellow-er than you guys are giving it credit

Old 09-23-2012, 01:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Conrice
well, that motorcycle that he's inquiring about makes 74hp at the rear wheel. - that's pretty much what a newer SV650 makes - which we can all agree is a great starter bike and great bike to have.

you guys are talking about 600's in the sense that he's wanting a 600rr. remember back in the day when the bike in question was new - it was suggested that riders started on a 600.

the whole "oh, a 600 will kill you nowadays" didn't come until much later on. late 90's, 2000's.

it has 26 degrees of rake - that's not at all like sportbikes today that are 21-23 degrees. the brakes aren't overkill either.

450lbs wet - that's pretty much what the new bikes of today weigh (of course his with no fairings is going to be lighter).

you have to understand - a 1994 600 is light years ahead of this thing of a hurricane600. the hurricane was built when bikes weren't so "task specific" like: track riding - street riding - commuting - adventure touring. this bike had to do a bunch of things. it's a lot mellow-er than you guys are giving it credit
Yeah in all that you lost your point.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice

What?

Yes, the 94 600 is quite a bit better than what he is talking about...but I still think the smart move is to put up $1,000 and get a used 250. Ride for a year or two and enjoy it and learn better technique then sell it for $1,000 and buy a newer bike.