General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sprocket and chain install question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When putting on a new chain, the wheel should be pushed all the way forward and the adjusters turned all the way in (with minor adjustment to get the correct slack). As the chain develops slack from stretching, you tighten the adjusters so it moves the wheel towards the end of the swingarm.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

This is really simple if you think about it. The longer the chain, the further back your axle is in the swingarm. Right now, your chain is so long, that the axle is as far back in the swingarm as it can go. If you remove a link, it's going to move the axle forward in the swingarm about an inch. Then you'll be able to have more adjustment available to you.

Is the gearing of 15/48 stock for your bike ? If not, then you can't rely on the adjuter decals for determining where your axle should be. You just have to make a note of where it starts out when the chain is new and properly adjusted. As it wears, it will slowly move to the back over time. Once it's been adjusted about the amount you see between the NEW and REPLACE marks, then it's time to replace it again.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
When putting on a new chain, the wheel should be pushed all the way forward and the adjusters turned all the way in (with minor adjustment to get the correct slack).
I made sure to push the wheel all the way forward with the adjusters turned all the way but when I tested the fit it was either a tight fit with no slack at all or what I'm left with now, the adjuster about an inch out. It almost seems like half an inch would make a difference between perfect and what I have now.

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
Is the gearing of 15/48 stock for your bike ? If not, then you can't rely on the adjuter decals for determining where your axle should be. You just have to make a note of where it starts out when the chain is new and properly adjusted.
Stock gearing is 16/46 so I went -1/+2. I didn't know the markings would be off when making the change thank you for the tip!

I have about 300miles on the new chain so far so I guess next weekend I'll pop it back off, remove a link and see how it goes. I bought a generic looking master link from my local shop. Hope it holds up!

Old 05-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ride it till you have no more adjustment left and take the link out then.