General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sprocket and chain install question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprocket and chain install question

I just finished installing new vortex sprockets (520 - 15/48) and a new D.I.D VM Series Premium X-Ring chain. It was going pretty smooth until I realized I cut the chain the wrong length . Any suggestion guys? Is it safe adding another master link? I have a little bit over an 1in of slack the way its set up right now but look at how far out the adjuster is... arrgh

IMG_0522-1.jpg?t=1274202517

Old 05-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I don't see the problem. Sure, the adjuster is about all the way to its limit but you said that the chain still has 1-inch of slack and it is supposed to have 1-1.25 inches free play.

As long as the wheel is mounted correctly on the axle and is straight in alignment I would think you're okay. As you ride the chain will become more loose anyway and then you obviously have plenty of room to adjust it tighter.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I wouldn't mess with it for now. I ride with about 1.25-1.5" of slack in my chain.

Let it stretch a bit, and if it gets too loose, break the old master off along with a link and put a new master on there. No need to have two masters on there creating two weak spots.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:48 AM

Well that's good news! I thought I'd end up having to buy a new chain. Not sure if this is related as I had it prior to the install but when I'm coasting in first gear with no throttle around 8mph its rough and I can hear a clanking noise. Is this normal?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends... the chain will make noise naturally. If it was too loose I guess it'd start to clank some...

You'd have to try to find some general idea where the noise is coming from to make any progress on that one.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:55 AM

I did the same thing a while back... I've been riding around with 2 master links for over a year with no problems.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:30 PM

just take another link out, if you have the tool ($16.00), it will take you 30 min to do and then you know your good, or just ride it like the others said. if it were me i would just take the time to take the link out!

Old 05-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Just take the master link back off, remove one more link in the chain and then put a new masterlink on it and be done. It's better that you cut it too long rather than too short.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
I guess I don't see the problem. Sure, the adjuster is about all the way to its limit but you said that the chain still has 1-inch of slack and it is supposed to have 1-1.25 inches free play.

As long as the wheel is mounted correctly on the axle and is straight in alignment I would think you're okay. As you ride the chain will become more loose anyway and then you obviously have plenty of room to adjust it tighter.
As it loosens, you have to move the wheel backwards. He has zero room to adjust it tighter. Moving it forward makes it looser, which is the only way he can go.

He needs to remove another link. Like IDoDirt said, just remove the master link, cut a link out, and put a new master on. They're not expensive.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:34 AM

The problem is if I were to remove another link I'd be left with nearly no slack in the chain with the adjusters tightened all the way. This is why I'm confused as to were I messed up.

Quick Reply: Sprocket and chain install question