Chain/sprocket question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain/sprocket question...

yes i know this has been beat to death, but i did a search, and after about a hour and change, im dissy from reading a million different opinions, and nothing seems to sound like what im looking for.

Pretty much mostly what i see reccomended for a replacement chain is these 2....

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...cat=601&page=1

and

Super Bike Supply - Your source for sportbike parts and accessories geared for racing and street bikes and their owners. : EK 520 Conversion -

but i dont understand all that +1 and - this crap. And honestly it seems i dont even want to go with 520.

So just to ask, plain and simple. I have a 2005 600rr, and i need to replace my chain/sprockets @ a budget of less than 200. I dont want to go faster, or a lighter kit or any of that stuff, (although if its a descent price and good quality i guess ill do it) i just want a replacement kit that is of good quality and just like stock. Any suggestions since i only find info on 520 kits?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:10 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Check out sprocketcenter.com they have some 525 kits. Here is one for $180, all you too to do is pick out what size sprockets you want. They do have stock sizes as well. 525 Steel Sprocket Set with RK 525 XSO Series X'ring Chain - HONDA CBR 600RR '03-12 Sprocket Center. They have some more kits as well.

Last edited by R Dub; 07-25-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 PM

what size sprockets would be stock, or close to?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:42 PM
October 2011 ROTM

I'm pretty sure for a 03-06 stock is 16 tooth up front and 43 tooth in the back

Old 07-27-2012, 03:58 AM

i see it gives me the option for teeth number on the 525 kit, what is the main difference with doing that "-1+2" deal? where do i gain and where do i loose? i still want to stick with 525 since i dont do track or nothing, but curious on what -1+2 will do

i never heard the benefits of it on a 525, all the threads i have found are in regards to 520.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:08 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

525 and 520 are the width of your chain. 520 is thinner than 525. The -1+2 will have the same effect for both chain pitches. Going smaller teeth in the front and bigger in the rear will make the bike accellerate faster but your top end will be slower. This will also make the motor spin at a higher rpm than before, for the same speed of the bike, i.e. you will be at 5200 rpm in 6th at 80mph instead of 5000 rpm in 6th at 80mph (just an example).

If you are happy with the way the bike performs now, just get the 525 pitch in the stock gearing, which is 16 front, 43 rear.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Also by going -1 up front your speedo will be off. It will say your going faster than what you really are. This will also add additional "false" miles. You can get speedohealer to curvy this issue.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:29 PM

one more question and this i have also gotten a hundred different opinion, is x-ring chain better than o-ring? i started to search on that and at first i saw alot saying the xring is better, then i started searching more and saw some say that xrings is not better and dosent hold lubrication too well, and unless you are lubing your chain like crazy it will never last as long as a o ring.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:19 PM
October 2011 ROTM

I'm not an expert by any means in this category so I did a bit of research and this is what I found from D.I.D website. "X-Ring construction reduces friction by twisting between the side plates instead of being squashed. Normal O-Rings and other makers’ modified O-Rings have squashed points that increase friction. The twisting action of the X-Ring disperses the pressure and minimizes power loss.The X-Ring’s four contact points greatly increase its sealing performance. This keeps the dirt out and the lubrication in much better than any other O-Ring. X-Rings have the greatest wear resistance of any other type of O-Ring or Non-O-Ring chain." Also I'm pretty sure our bikes have a x-type from the factory.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:51 AM

thanks for all the info

i got all the answers i was looking for and im going to buy this RK 525 kit, but now im having doubts on wether i should stay stock or not. I dont ride hard or anything, but -1+2 its sounding interesting to me. I Never really go over 80-90mph anyways (i live in NYC) so i dont care about top end, but i do care about acceleration. i never been a guy interested in zooming down the highway at 100+ miles an hour, but i am the guy interested in when the light turns green getting from one light to the next as fast as possible (hence my interest in improving my acceleration)

It kind of reminds me of my car (toyota mr2) picks up hella quick but no top end. But thats what i like. So now im ready to order this kit but dont know if i should give the tooth change on the sprockets a try...?

just how MUCH top end will i lose if i go -1+2 on a 05 600rr? Oh, and all i have is a micron exhaust, and i do have a power commander III but i disabled it because it was killing my gas (when i say disabled it i mean as in 0 map).

Quick Reply: Chain/sprocket question...