General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salvage title Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage title Question

Is there anyone here that has knowledge about salvage titles in new york from out of state and the process of getting it back on the road Thanks in advance

Old 09-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Salvage title Question

i dont know ny specifically but i would think all you would have to do is have it inspected by the local authority wether that be the dept of motor vehicles or local highway cops . either way check with your local dmv they would be the best ones to answer your questions

here this took me 2 minutes to find
http://nysdmv.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...mp;p_topview=1

Old 09-28-2008, 01:29 AM

i hear thats it's a big hassle. the state police have a designated location that they have the inspections where you must show them all the new parts that replaced the old(some inspections will not let you use used parts to repair the bike, check it out).
w/out useing used parts it's going to be very expensive to repair, by the time you are done you could of bought a bike w/a clean title that you could just ride instead of fixing. then if you go to sell it down the road you will loose a lot of $ haveing a salvage title as opposed to haveing a clean title and weather you fix the bike or you just buy a clean bike in the end it will cost about the same IMO (don't do it!) unless you have connections w/a dealer and can get all the parts real cheep IT WON'T BEE WORTH IT.
good luck!

Old 09-28-2008, 05:10 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

^^you only have an opinion not fact. you are only perpetuating the myth that salvage titles are wothless you dont know exactly which parts will need to be replaced if any. he may goto inspection and they pass him, you dont know. so untill you can offer facts that the bike he is buying will cost him the price of a new one in the long run just keep quiet.

and just as a reminder a clean title doesnt mean **** ! a bike could be wrecked then repaired and still kept as a clean title. idiots that base a bike based only on title dont know what they are looking at. a salvaged title can be just as good as a clean title.. check the bike not the title!

Old 09-28-2008, 07:24 AM

thanks for the info i think im going to avoid the salvage title route

Old 09-28-2008, 08:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

^^you only have an opinion not fact. you are only perpetuating the myth that salvage titles are wothless you dont know exactly which parts will need to be replaced if any. he may goto inspection and they pass him, you dont know. so untill you can offer facts that the bike he is buying will cost him the price of a new one in the long run just keep quiet.

and just as a reminder a clean title doesnt mean **** ! a bike could be wrecked then repaired and still kept as a clean title. idiots that base a bike based only on title dont know what they are looking at. a salvaged title can be just as good as a clean title.. check the bike not the title!
Well put, facts rule, opinions are......

Old 09-28-2008, 12:08 PM

hey, thats what i was saying IMO read a little better next time and if i were in the market to buy a bike i would not go for a salvage title due to resale(sorry) probobly most wouldn't. i would say that if you had 2 of the same bikes one w/a salvage title and 1 w/clean title and you were selling both unless that salvage bike was a totally tricked out cuctom or incredibly cheap the clean 1 would sell first most likely (provided it's not a POS). this is all about opinions like you said unless we have the bike in front of us we don't know
what it costs or needs, instead of telling some one it's a good idea we should tell them to be very cautious because it could potentally cost a fortune i know because i did it....