Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Salvage Title or Clear Title???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage Title or Clear Title???

I'm currently on the hunt for a bike. Should I insist on getting one with a clear title or is it ok to get one with a salvage title. Is it near impposible to resale a bike with a salvage title? What to look for on a salvage title?

Old 07-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Salvage bikes go for about half the price of a "clear title"
I wouldn't touch a salvaged bike except for spares............
My 2c worth.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Short answer:

Do your best to find a clear title bike. There will be less problems & more certainty about what your buying. It will be easier to insure the way you want/need. It will retain a higher value as well.

You really should/need to be experienced w/ bikes to know what to look for on salvaged bikes. Trying to explain all of it would take up a whole page. See where I'm going w/ this? Sure you can save money on salvaged bikes but are you saving peace of mind? Unless you *know* the bike & its history, it can be a crap shoot when buying salvaged bikes. That said, there are good salvage bikes but unless you know what your looking at, its a gamble.

Take your time, look at plenty of bikes, choose one that's got a clean title, check maintenance records, & have inspected by a factory Honda shop. Sure, you'll pay more but you'll have peace of mind, & in the long-run, you'll be happier.

Good luck shopping.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:24 PM

slavaged bikes are kinda a PITA and extra paper work to register in most states... i would look for a clear one first... settle for a slavage only if you get a steal of a deal

Old 07-01-2010, 01:54 PM

alright, thanks, i'll rule out the salvage titles.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:00 PM

I would not rule out all salvage titled bikes. I have a 03 cbr 954 It has a salvage title but only because it was a theft and was found after the insurance company paid out for it. There was nothing wrong with it except that it sat for a year. bought it off a cop for $900.00 Spent another $700.00 with tires and I have a great bike for cheap. Also if it's your first bike a showroom bike might not be the best thing to learn on at first.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

totally pisses me off when people assume what a "salvaged bike" is.
ive had plenty of good salvaged bikes and if you know what you are buying they arent an issue. ive had full coverage through progressive on 2 salvaged bikes.

but as i always try and tell people CHECK THE BIKE NOT THE TITLE!!!! a bike couldve been wrecked and rebuilt and kept as a clean title if not reported .. my buddy has an 04 1krr that he wrecked and rebuilt but the swing arm has a hole on the side of it.. yet its clean title. always check a bike out and worry more about it then the title because you arent riding that piece of paper..