General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotella T

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zzulu
Thanks for the response guys. Piranha, you said the T6 is MA rated "RIGHT NOW". Are you saying that the rating might be changed or withdrawn?
ZZ
No, I just wanted people to note the discrepancy of the MA ratings between the oils.
Example:
Rotella T (triple protection) 10w-30 = NOT MA rated
Rotella T (triple protection) 15w-40 = MA rated
Rotella T6 ( synthetic ) 5w-40 = MA rated

Note: The T 15w-40, is a 15w-40....this oil is thicker when its cold(first started) then say a 5w-40.

check out there webpage with all there oil:
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...ucts_home.html

Last edited by Piranha; 12-11-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Official CBRF Decal Man

Thanks you just saved me a chit ton of money I spent 68 bucks on my last oil change wish I saw this sooner

Old 12-12-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lj 900RReno
Thanks you just saved me a chit ton of money I spent 68 bucks on my last oil change wish I saw this sooner

+1million on that. When I pull my bike out of hiding in the spring, that's what I am using.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:01 PM
MZ5

I think it might be worth elaborating that the absence of the letters "MA" on some of the Rotella T line doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't meet the requirements of the specification. Shell will tell you that it hasn't tested the entire line yet. Having said that, it would surprise me if any of the multi-grade Rotella T line was non-compliant with one of the JASO MA sub-specs.

The JASO 4-stroke motorcycle oil handbook (contains the specs) can be read here, if you wish:
http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV0604.pdf

You'll see that it was last revised in 2006, and that it's due for re-evaluation in 2011.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:18 PM

this was all good readin cause i put rotella 15w40 in my bike since im a diesel mechanic and have 55 gallon drums full at work that costs me nothin to use 4 qts here and there. i pair it up with a napa oil filter

Old 12-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Rotella in my CBR 1k

Old 02-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Official CBRF Decal Man

Okay so.I just called Honda to ask about this... I was told I wouldn't recommend it because it has extra additives. And it does not work the same for all the parts... Haha LMAO its approved for wet clutches... and so I asked him.. it has extra additives so it has the same additives that your Honda full synthetic it just has other stuff too... yes that's correct and the other additives could be bad for the bike... so the fact that it was recommended by a guy who has been using it for years...dylan... is lying to me I think not... so I nice and say wow thanks for the info have a great day and proceeded to by rotella T-6

Old 02-06-2011, 10:48 AM

Looks like quite a few people are using hi-flo filters. I just used them with T6 when I put the bikes away for the winter.

I'll try running this combo in the spring instead of my usual k&n filter with Amsoil

Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 AM

I use Rotella T in my 929...no problems

Old 02-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like quite a few people are using hi-flo filters. I just used them with T6 when I put the bikes away for the winter.

I'll try running this combo in the spring instead of my usual k&n filter with Amsoil
The K&N filters are made by hi-flo anyway. At least they used to be. Hi-flo has actually made filters for some pretty big companies. (like BMW, Nissan, Toyota, Ford, etc)

And yeah, honda (or any other manufacturer) isn't going to recommend anything but their own stuff. Sometimes it really matters, but in the case of oil and filters it usually doesn't.
A good example of this is the cartridge oil filters I use on my KLR650. The OEM ones from Kawasaki are nothing more than a regular paper cart filter and cost $8. You can get a synthetic media hi-flo cart for $2.50 and it even looks better made.
If I can get the Purolator equivalent, I almost always use them. Good price, well known, available, and tons of people have been using them on their bikes for years.

BTW, we just had a big issue with WIX (napa) oil filters where I work. There was a manufacturing defect in the threading and bodies. We had 3 trucks lose filters and dump their oil. I kid you not. My truck was one of them. I saw the smoke and immediately killed the engine. Oil everywhere!!
I found out later that the first WIX filter the mechanic tried to install actually fell off in his hands after tightening it...... so he got another one OUT OF THE SAME CASE and slapped it on.
I was driving when mine went, but one of the other guys got lucky and just came out to his truck to find a 5qt oil spill under it.

Quick Reply: Rotella T