General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotella T

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rotella T

People look at you like you have half a brain when you tell them you use it in your motorcycle. :-/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_Rotella_T
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...on_detail.html

I searched the threads on here and saw that other people on here use it, makes me feel better. My dad asked them at honda about it and also one of his buddies that works at harley as a mechanic and worked at honda prior to that... they both poopooed it.

Dude at advance knows what vehicles I drive and asked what it was for... then he gave me one of those looks.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol i use it and it has never given me any trouble.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

they both poopooed it.
They're just showing their ignorance. I've used it for 4 years now in motorcycles and cars.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used it forever in all my bikes and some of my cars/trucks. At the moment I have it in my KLR650, Honda Magna VF750, CBR1000, and 2 Jeep Cherokees.
Great cheap oil, and it's been proven over and over again. It's also JASO-MA certified now. You should mention that next time someone gives you a stupid look or comment.

I just watched a guy spend $44 for 3 quarts of SEMI synthetic "Harley Davidson Screamin' Eagle" brand oil.
That's $14.50/qt for a synthetic blend! Total ripoff.

Now this is the interesting part about the Harley Guy "poopooing" on Rotella:
In the fine print of the Harley manuals you'll find that HD recommends a quality diesel oil when you can't find their own brand of "super screamin' eagle stars and stripes space oil"
Good stuff.

Bike manufacturers obviously don't make oil. They just pick a decent oil... rebrand it.... and sell it for more than it's worth. And many manufacturers switch out depending on price. Same with filters. I'd like to know who uses what. I bet it's interesting.
Hell, other brands do it, too. Like K&N oil filters. They're made by Hi-Flo. Decent filters, but not worth $12 when the hi-flo is like $4.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:12 AM
July 2010 ROTM

i have nothing against it and think its good oil but it toasted my clutch, i wont run synthetic anymore, i just have had no luck with it. but thats just my experience, i know others have done fine with it

Old 09-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Administrator - Retired

i have nothing against it and think its good oil but it toasted my clutch, i wont run synthetic anymore, i just have had no luck with it. but thats just my experience, i know others have done fine with it
I don't mean to be a dick, but neither synthetics nor rotella toasted your clutch.

I'm not gonna go too far into the synthetic argument because it's absurd. Ask any motorcycle manufacturer on the market and they'll tell you that synthetics won't harm clutches.

On Rotella.... I'm sorry your clutch bit the dust, but I've been running this oil in all my bikes for years with zero ill effects. I've got over 5yrs and many many gallons of it through my CBR alone.
And I'm not the only one, either. Hell, another member here has run it in like 6 different bikes for hundreds of thousands of miles. Check the forums, articles, books, whatever.
Shell Oil and the JASO Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel would also be interested to hear that it "toasts" clutches since there was a good bit of money and effort that went into labeling it JASO-MA and "safe for all wet clutches".

You're just wrong, and I'd hate for someone to come on here and second guess Rotella or synthetics because of misinformation.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by vangill
There is a much higher probability that the cluch was not adjusted properly or that riding style contributed to a "toasted" clutch, not the oil.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Question

Your talking about Shell Rotella T, just the regular T 15w-40 right????
Or
What about the Shell Rotella T6?, is this what your talking about???? T6 is a 5w-40, I know this one is fully synthetic....

I was thinking about putting the T6 in my 09 Honda CBR after engine is broke in.... could you guys clarify this?? thoughts on T6?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any diesel oil is better for your bike than an oil designed for cars.....and bike oils are basicly diesel oils in disguise - they have far less of the addatives like sulphur etc which are bad for bikes, and bike clutches etc.
I've been running diesel oil of all sorts in my 1000F for 3 years now, no problems at all.
My 2c worth

Old 09-03-2010, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Piranha
Your talking about Shell Rotella T, just the regular T 15w-40 right????
Or
What about the Shell Rotella T6?, is this what your talking about???? T6 is a 5w-40, I know this one is fully synthetic....

I was thinking about putting the T6 in my 09 Honda CBR after engine is broke in.... could you guys clarify this?? thoughts on T6?
Not only is Rotella T6 half the price of other full synth motorcycle oils, but since it's marketed as a diesel oil (it does have JASO-MA cert) you can buy it at farm supply stores or bulk oil outlets in 5 gallon pails even cheaper

Quick Reply: Rotella T