General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotella T

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your talking about Shell Rotella T, just the regular T 15w-40 right????
Or
What about the Shell Rotella T6?, is this what your talking about???? T6 is a 5w-40, I know this one is fully synthetic....

I was thinking about putting the T6 in my 09 Honda CBR after engine is broke in.... could you guys clarify this?? thoughts on T6?
Either one, but T6 is better and is what I've generally been running unless it's sold out and then I grab the regular. The Rotella T Triple Protection 15W40 (white bottle) is the standard stuff that's about $12/gal. Not as good as the T6 synthetic (blue bottle), but it's a good oil and I've used a chit ton of it.
The T6 lasts longer, is more robust, and flows much better cold. It's about $21/gal. Either will work great in your bikes, tho.

Btw, if you sign up for emails from advance auto you can get promotion reminders (like 20% off right now for labor day) and get it for even cheaper.
Heck, the other month I got 3gals for $10/gal after a promo and $20 rebate from Shell oil. That's a crazy cheap synthetic!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I run Rotella T in my '87 Cane now been doing it since last year. I run the Syn. Rotella T, just because...

Old 09-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Bike manufacturers obviously don't make oil. They just pick a decent oil... rebrand it.... and sell it for more than it's worth. And many manufacturers switch out depending on price. Same with filters. I'd like to know who uses what. I bet it's interesting.
Hell, other brands do it, too. Like K&N oil filters. They're made by Hi-Flo. Decent filters, but not worth $12 when the hi-flo is like $4.
that is funny you say that, the dealership here wants over $14 for a honda brand filter, and fram sells one at walmart that is slightly deeper for half the price. the fram one fits multiple applications. my buddy's ninja takes the same filter. the salesman at the stealership tried convincing me it would blow my motor up.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Administrator - Retired

that is funny you say that, the dealership here wants over $14 for a honda brand filter, and fram sells one at walmart that is slightly deeper for half the price. the fram one fits multiple applications. my buddy's ninja takes the same filter. the salesman at the stealership tried convincing me it would blow my motor up.
Yep, the dealers all have to get their filters from somewhere. Some are better than others, but generally the OEM ones are decent filters. The only difference you'll see is the bypass valve pressures. People like to scream "The OEM has an 8psi bypass, while the purolator is 12psi! See, it's not built for our bikes... blah blah"
What you have to realize is that if you need the bypass (unlikely), you're probably running way too thick of an oil for the application or you haven't changed the oil for 50,000 miles and it's blinding the filter. Not only that, but 8psi vs. 12psi is really irrelevant when your oil pump is pushing 5X that. It's gonna open the bypass regardless. The only filters I could see being a problem are a select few that are made for turbo car applications that have like a 50psi bypass. But those filters are never gonna be recommended anyway.

I've always used purolator filters in all my bikes and cars/trucks. They always seem to come out on top (or close to it) in testing, and they're cheap and always available. In fact, I believe the purolator PL14610 and PL14612 are universal to all CBRs. (possibly not some of the 1000rrs because I've never checked). The only difference between those two part numbers is the length of the filter. If you can use the longer ones (if they fit behind the header), you may as well get the extra surface area. You can also use the L14610/L14612. They aren't the premium "pure one" filters, but just the regular ones. About half the price of the $7 pure one, and still a darn good filter.

Fram filters always seem to come in next to last in testing, though, so I'd consider switching to something different. HERE is a cross reference chart so you can pick the filter you like.
If I don't use the purolators, I generally get mobil 1 or hi-flo. My klr650 is all hi-flo because it takes a cartridge style. If I buy a case of 10, it's like $27 from bike bandit and they're made with the better synthetic media. Kawasaki charges about $10 each for a regular paper filter.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 09-04-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:52 PM

hey, good insight. so you always order your filters off the internet? also, i did buy 4 quarts of honda motor oil, which was quite pricey. i'd rather not do that again.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Administrator - Retired

No, I usually just buy my filters at advance auto parts because it's a mile from my house. I only buy the odd size filters for the klr online. (although if you're making an order online for something else like tires..... sometimes it makes sense to just add some oil filters to the order if the shipping is free. Same with air filters. I use the emgo stock equivalent and they're like $12)

Old 09-05-2010, 01:11 AM

I have been looking for the T6 here in Canada, but all I can find is the Regular 15W40 Triple Protection (white bottle) and 5W40 Rotella T (blue bottle). I haven't seen any blue jug with T6 on it.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 AM

Good read Trout, I wish you made this post 2 weeks ago

Moses

Old 09-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Administrator - Retired

I have been looking for the T6 here in Canada, but all I can find is the Regular 15W40 Triple Protection (white bottle) and 5W40 Rotella T (blue bottle). I haven't seen any blue jug with T6 on it.
The Rotella T 5W40 is simply what it was called before they named it "T6". There was a slight change in VIIs to make it a bit more shear stable, but essentially exactly the same. You'll get people who say the T6 was a major change in base stocks, but I have big doubts.... especially when some shell reps are saying this:

XXX,
I see your comparisons to the older CI4+ Rotella T Synthetic
5W-40, but how does it compare to the CJ4 Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 that
the new T6 replaced? What changed other than the label on the bottle?

Thank you,

XXXX
And after a little bit of "blah blah, the T6 is better" from the rep, we get this:

XXXX,
The T6 label is part of a marketing re-imaging of the Rotella line.
I don't believe there is much if any change otherwise for this
particular product.

XXX
Regardless, the regular blue bottle 5W40 is excellent oil and is what I would be running in my bikes if I lived where you do. Only difference I can tell is that the T6 came out with the JASO-MA stamped on the bottle. People have been running the regular 5W40 synth in their bikes for years. Just think of it as the T6 without the "6".

It reminds me of the movie "Tommy Boy" when the guy says "Yeah, but your competitor has a guarantee stamped right on the box! It makes a man feel good."

Good read Trout, I wish you made this post 2 weeks ago
There's always tomorrow for dreams to come true.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 09-05-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
It reminds me of the movie "Tommy Boy" when the guy says "Yeah, but your competitor has a guarantee stamped right on the box! It makes a man feel good."
Ha! You made me lol! Great reference!

Quick Reply: Rotella T