General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rostra Cruise Control-wiring gurus needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see you got it sorted. How is this product? Never heard of it. Seems fairly straight forward to hook up so I wonder how good it works. You will have to report back and let us know. I was actually wondering why you were hooking it up to the rheostat. Was this so you could control the setting of the throttle using a scroll wheel, and just so happens that the switch for the rheo is a fader switch? Has to be purposefully be a reason why they specifically state that component in their instructions.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PossibleF4I
Glad to see you got it sorted. How is this product? Never heard of it. Seems fairly straight forward to hook up so I wonder how good it works. You will have to report back and let us know. I was actually wondering why you were hooking it up to the rheostat. Was this so you could control the setting of the throttle using a scroll wheel, and just so happens that the switch for the rheo is a fader switch? Has to be purposefully be a reason why they specifically state that component in their instructions.
Hey how did you know we just fixed it? IT WORKS SO WELL!!!!! It is actually very easy to install for anyone who knows how to do wiring.

I was hooking it up to the rheostat because I was just following the manual step by step. Bad idea, but since I have never done wiring before, my only choice. Thanks for helping me out, this forum is always smart. Yeah, I bet you are right about why they wanted me to hook it up to the rheostat; for control purposes. But that just confuses me.

So we just hooked the control switch straight up to the ignition and then wired our brake circuit according to their directions and it works beautifully. So fun just pressing a button and it will keep going at that speed with only 1mph difference. Nearly any speed too! I went with Rostra cause they seem to be the most popular in the aftermarket segment, heck they even sell them here in Korea.

The cruise control comes with a lot of safety features and other cruising options so it's not just for setting one speed. I've also seen these installed on motorcycles here so I may get one in the future for my bike for those long trips. The cruise control immediately disengages when braking or when you yourself give it gas, but with one click you can assume the same speed before. You can also adjust speed with a single click and it will go up or down 1mph (or you can hold a button for a larger changes).

I never used one before so it is pretty awesome how the car itself will manually adjust the throttle (via cable) and keep the speed perfect. You let your feet off the gas and it just goes. Neat. If you have any questions just ask!

Amazon:
Amazon.com: Rostra Universal Electronic Cruise Control 250-1223: Automotive Amazon.com: Rostra Universal Electronic Cruise Control 250-1223: Automotive

Old 02-12-2014, 11:05 PM

Hey one last thing. I am going to change some of the settings so that the cruise control will better fit the car, thought you guys could give me a hand with the settings.

Some info on the car:
My car is a 05 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0L Turbo charged 300 HP @4,500 RPM on the dyno. 4 cylinder DOHC. She is built for track purposes!
The options that I am concerned about are:

1. Gain (sensitivity): Extra Low, Low, Mid, High
2. Pusles/Mile (pulses/Kilometer): lots of options anywhere between 2000 to 38600.
3. Engine/SetUp Timer: Gives me a punch of cylinders (we are four) but gives me options for Low, High, Extra High setup timer.

I do not know what these variables do and what they mean. Can someone give me an explanation? I shall also be researching as well!

Old 02-12-2014, 11:19 PM

Rostra Electronic Cruise Control install

Awesome! Same exact thing I did!

Old 02-13-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com
Hey one last thing. I am going to change some of the settings so that the cruise control will better fit the car, thought you guys could give me a hand with the settings.

Some info on the car:
My car is a 05 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0L Turbo charged 300 HP @4,500 RPM on the dyno. 4 cylinder DOHC. She is built for track purposes!
The options that I am concerned about are:

1. Gain (sensitivity): Extra Low, Low, Mid, High
2. Pusles/Mile (pulses/Kilometer): lots of options anywhere between 2000 to 38600.
3. Engine/SetUp Timer: Gives me a bunch of cylinders (we are four) but gives me options for Low, High, Extra High setup timer.

I do not know what these variables do and what they mean. Can someone give me an explanation? I shall also be researching as well!
I learned what gain and sensitivity and engine setuptimer are (FAQ section: Technical Support for Rostra Precision Controls, Inc. Products). And the tech told me to start on low and work my way up to all settings and what not. yup that is what I will do.