Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control

I might be planning a trip from California to south Florida which is about 2,900 miles and I have heard different cruisers talk about cruise control but I have never looked into it for street bikes. Is it an option to install, I know there are the wrist bands that you can hook on the throttlebut I am wondering if there is anything else to save my wrist from on the long trip.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cruise control

I just replied about the same thing in a topic that Classic had posted. There are some cheap manual cruise set ups that you can get & I have seen a few adverts for much more expensive electronic doo hickies that can be installed. Their are also different types of grips that can/maybe help. Wot your really talking about here though is pushing on when your body (wrist & hands) are telling you to stop for a breather. Thats wot I do, get the blood flowing to those screaming nerves & lets you do wot you should doing. Concentrating on the road & enjoying the ride.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:34 PM

well the longest trip I have done was from from L.A. to sacramento which took about 7 hours doing the speed limit and after that ride I was still doing alright but that was on my sv650 and the throttle was set a little different so with my cbr1000rr my wrists start feeling it quicker. I guess I am just tying to find all the info out about them before I do this cross america trip.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:20 PM

google audiovox cruise control

Old 01-21-2009, 04:18 PM

Maybe you need to raise your handlebars a little?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: thegreenbandit

Maybe you need to raise your handlebars a little?
Ya it is easy enough to do that and for such a long ride I dont think I would like a cruise control due to the fact that I would be to relaxed and not ready enough for any quick reactions.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aj_jensen73]... I know there are the wrist bands that you can hook on the throttle but I am wondering if there is anything else to save my wrist from on the long trip.
Cruise control and what you are talking about are two different things. I agree true cruise controls can be dangerous but ones like throttle rockers and similar products give your wrist a break without any real danger .. they disengage when you take your hand off throttle. I use my throttlemeister (which is kind of in between a true cruise control and a throttle rocker) on longer trips and when I did my cross country 5000 mi trip I found it somewhat useful .. in town or quick trips it isn't really of any use.

Other than one of those what has been suggested thus far is your best bet; frequent stops, raise bars, etc.. one thing to also work on is taking all pressure off your hands when you ride ... you really need very little pressure there and that will save you a lot of pain as well.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:34 PM

you can get bar ends that will keep the throttle on without you twisting it, than when you need to slow down just close the throttle... i dont know what they are called or what brand but im sure you can google it, if not let me know and ill ask my buddy who had it

Old 01-21-2009, 10:16 PM

Why does everyone think that cruise controls are so dangerous on a bike? It just adds enough friction to keep the throttle from moving on its own. I can easily move the throttle open or closed even with the cruise engaged. Plus, it was very nice to have on long interstate rides. I can stretch my hand out from time to time without grabbing a handful of clutch.

Maybe I am uneducated about accidents that have happened because of cruise controls (I have never heard of any) or maybe I am more responsible about when and how I choose to use mine. Either way, I am glad I have it and I would recommend them to others who ride long distances.

Quick Reply: Cruise control