General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need mechanics advice on 88 'cane' 600cc

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Need mechanics advice on 88 'cane' 600cc

Hey all!
First, thanks for taking your time to read my question here.
I purchased my 88 cane 600cc about one month ago. I took a chance and bought this bike without hearing it run or being able to test ride it. After tearing it down to frame level and scrubbing the float bowls clean, and flushing and sealing the rusted gas tank; then I was finally able to start riding it.
I have rode it nearly every day since I first got on it about 2 weeks ago now. I have put about 1000 miles on it. Needless to say, this is my first street bike and quite the fixer-upper. Just my kind of bike, with all this said "I need advice."

I have noticed a couple of quirks with my bike that will need addressed eventually (sooner or later). I am asking this forum for technical tips or an order of importance for these fixes.

After breaking many (many) things by trying to 'fix what wasn't broken' I find myself between a rock and a hard place. Should I begin to try fixing these things myself or are these repairs more than I can handle? To better give the forum a sense of my mechanical ability, I will start by telling all the things I have accomplished on the bike so far.
HAVE FIXED:
1:Removed carb and cleaned float bowls.
2:Used fork mate to clean fork seals and reduce oil leak from fork arm.
3:Minor adjustments to rear brake-light switch, and throttle cables.
---These are all simple fixes and would never earn me the "motorcycle mechanic or the year" award---
NEED TO FIX:
1: One front brake caliper is grabbing more than the other side causing a 'grabbing' sensation at slow speed braking.
2: I am hearing a metallic crunching/rattling at random times. (thinking transmission or cam shaft chain?)
3: Drive chain is looser than when first purchased the bike. (thinking this may be the sound I'm hearing)((I hope-and not cam chain))
4: Power seems to surge while revving up around 4000rpm.
---All these things seem difficult to troubleshoot, and repair and may even be related to each other. I have never attempted any of these repairs and the bike is still ride-able; so I don't want to break whats not broken---

Old 08-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

If you are not sure of where your problems are, then take it to someone that can tell you. From there, you can decide if the repairs needed are within your mechanical ability. As you are finding out, it ends up being cheaper, and safer, to pay someone to do the job accurately and correctly rather than to replace unnecessary items and break things trying to save money. I do recommend doing your own work so you "know" your bike, but only if your abilities can produce a job done correctly.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:11 AM

Thanks for your opinion 74demon!
I am very weary to take anything I own to a shop. Once I took my vintage enduro bike to M & M / I WANNA GO FAST in Jackson, Ohio and the dude who owns it lost a couple hard to replace parts. It took me nearly a whole year to find the parts I needed on ebay.
Anyways, this is why I'm so hesitant to take my bike anywhere.
I feel like I am able to do almost any job with the right tools.
I would like to ask though, I have heard a horror story about a cam chain breaking and seizing the engine, thus tossing the rider over the handlebars and screeching down the pavement. Could this happen if I ride my bike to the Honda shop 20 miles away.
Further, the metallic rattling sound comes and goes. It doesn't last very long (1sec at a time.) Any ideas what it could be?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Could that happen? In an extreme case, sure. But not likely though. Ultimately you need to decide your best course is. If you feel that you know what it is and can fix it, do it. I don't know what your noise is, I haven't heard it first hand.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by haufsnaggle
NEED TO FIX:
1: One front brake caliper is grabbing more than the other side causing a 'grabbing' sensation at slow speed braking.
2: I am hearing a metallic crunching/rattling at random times. (thinking transmission or cam shaft chain?)
3: Drive chain is looser than when first purchased the bike. (thinking this may be the sound I'm hearing)((I hope-and not cam chain))
3) Adjusting the chain is easy to learn and do and definately something you will need to know how to do yourself. Need to learn to lube your chain as well.
1) Rebuilding the front brake calipers may be a good idea anyway. Again, pretty straight forwards and a good place for a novice to start. Lots of pictorials and probably a few youtube on it as well. All calipers are basically the same.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:16 PM

1.If you dont have a manual buy one..
2.Read said manual if you find it easy to understand you should be able to carry out the work yourself,Or at least pick what you can and can't do.
3.Fix what you are capable of doing and take the things you are not to someone who can that way you still save some pennys and learn some things along the way..

Old 08-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

NEED TO FIX:

Well lets see....

Front brakes I'd dissassemble, thoroughly clean and then flush the whole system topping off with new fluids. Not too difficult. Also check the lines for hardness/cracking and or swelling. They might need replaced as well.

Cam chain, if thats what it is, I'd start checking the cam chain tensioner. It's fairly easy to remove and inspect/replace. Its not terribly expensive either and a pretty common issue.

Chain and most likely the sprocket set, is most likely worn/wearing. If its beyond the adjustment marks on the adjuster then replacement of the set would be needed. Also not a difficult task but all 3 (sprockets/chain) should get changed as a set.

Surging....could be a few things. With out knowing what been done or changed being its a mid range problem my 'guess' would be a jetting issue. If it has an aftermarket pipe or intake components it likely has a jet kit (mis-adjusted) or it may need one. That take a little know how but you can be walked thru it.

I guess thats the jist.