CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

#xx% mechanics!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:00 PM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default #xx% mechanics!

Well, some of you might remember some problems I've had with my bike. Here's the thread for those of you who don't: https://cbrforum.com/m_176770/mpage_.../tm.htm#176770

This post is to let you know the cause of my cooling fan not working. Fuses blew, jadajada...

I urged myself today to get out of the sofa and see if I could locate what's wrong, so I took off some of the fairings so I atleast could see something in there. I was almost certain the fan was blown, I managed to get by last riding season without fan, but it was no fun.
So what did I find?
A big sheet/flap of rubber, that thing that's supposed to guide airflow from the fan at the engine, was stuffed down inbetween the fan and the engine, partially in the fan, causing it to be stuck! When the mech at the shop who adjusted my valves did the job, they just forced it down there ( the rubber flap), and forgot all about it afterwards! Great, thanks...

I wonder what more they did wrong?
Oh yeah, about that, it seems as there is something wrong with the brake fluid change they did to. It keeps on needing to be bled from air? Ohwell, 1 month to go before riding season starts. More troubleshooting...

I adjusted the balancer shaft backlash too while I was at it, quite easy job!

Take my words for it: No More Mechanics On My Bike!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: #xx% mechanics!

Nobody seems to give a damn about quality work anymore, which is criminal when you consider that we, as motorcyclists, take a lot "on faith" when we take our bikes into a shop. We expect bolts to be tight, and safety to be a concern, but most of the mechanics today don't care....If your engine had blown as a result of the fan problem, all you would probably have got was a shrug and a "sorry" if you're lucky. I keep mine out of the shop, and do it myself, at least then I'll know it's my fault if something goes wrong.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would probably find that if you were on the latest hyper-blaster the service would be a whole lot better & expensive. The truth is that unless the mechanic is an older bike enthusiast he will be laughing at us behind our backs. Mind you I get the same treatment with the people that service my car.
As for the bike/s, I have always serviced my own. I just don't trust a mechanic. They get it wrong too often!!!!. Most riders could tell horror stories of mechanics.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:38 AM

As a mech in training, it kills me to hear that... I'm at Motorcycle Mechanics Institute right now in training for Suzuki and Yamaha. As for mechs working on bikes and not doing good jobs, that's what I'm trying to avoid. As for mechs not doing a good job, seriously, go back to them. I'd rather know if I did something wrong than to think everything was fine and hope to see you back again...
Wrider

Old 03-05-2008, 02:59 AM

Even a year later I would go back and tell the mech what happened. I take my bike to a huge shop and the service advisor makes sure I am taken care of.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:27 AM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I know that I don't own a "Hyper Blaster" as you called it, but I refuse to think that my mechanic laughed at my bike behind my back, and because of that gave me a less good service.
I don't think this bike is "laughing material", do you?see attached pic)

As for this thread, I kinda wrote it in the disappointment of finding such a clumpsy error, but mistakes can be made, and I still have trust in the shop.
I used this particular shop because I know that their chief mechanic has won the title "Sweden's Best Honda Mechanic", and has been out in Europe at similar contests, and such a title gives me an anticipation of a desent performed job. Unfortunatly the chief mech was on vacation/recovery from a back injury at the time when I had my bike there, and the absent of a chief could have made the "floor mechs" a little more sloppy?

I have spoken to the chief mech today, there were no hard feelings from any of us. I phoned him in the intent to inform him what had happened, and that I was a bit disappointed.
He noted in "my file" in their computer what had happened, and wrote that I was to get a good deal in my next business with them, and he was sincerely conserned if the bike had suffered any major damages because of their error, which it didn't. I'm satisfied with that.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6357/3CE9DBD737634CF6AD0CA091D2101AB0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-05-2008, 07:43 AM

Good to get a monkey off your back, and maybe a fre oil change! Good for you

Old 03-05-2008, 11:48 PM

Im a diesel mechanic for a living.. i take pride in my work and work on everything as if it was my own.. do the best job that i can... i know if a customer isunhappy we will bend over backwards for them.. i dont always agree with this because sometimes it impposible to make them happy , but word of mouth is the best advertisement..

Old 03-06-2008, 01:25 AM

It took me years to find decent car and bike mechanics. I took my bike to main dealers and would return a few hours later (to check they had started on it) to find the bike had not moved a muscle. Then they charge you the earth for doing - it seems - very little. I found main dealers to be really poor.

Thankfully I now have a neighbour who runs his own garage and a bike mechanic who I (literally) trust with my life...

Old 03-06-2008, 01:40 AM

You are running into so many problems trying to find a good place to take anything to have worked on. I'm a motorcycle tech, and I see around me those techs that are good, and others that will never open up a book, guess how things go, and hack their way around a job and been doing it soo long they are use to it and will never change. A fellow tech just took apart a Ducati 1098S, remove engine disassembled changed shift drum and reassembled and completed it in just 2 days. The thing looks like it was never apart. He amazes me, does the type of job i can do, but in half the time! But another problem you run into is that....sometimes a shop will have a great tech, but poor rules and all these protocols for them. So they have to jump threw so many hoops to get anything done, and they are paid by the job, that they are forced to rush and half *** some jobs because of all the red tape laid around them. So a small shop that is relaxed is good, but many times lacks the special tools, or proper and up to date factory training that a tech would need. Big dealerships will have large special tool inventory, good and bad techs side by side, and possibly so much red tape that it will screw up even a great tech. So in todays world, we are all screwed on trying to find someone and somewhere to take our bikes. Thats why i went to MMI to learn how to do everything my damn self. Everyone should learn to do the same and befriend techs to help them out so you can watch and learn. You'll find the intimidating jobs are much easier than you'll realize

Quick Reply: #xx% mechanics!