General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a very basic immobiliser

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a very basic immobiliser

I am looking for a very basic immobilizer, to install on my F2, and I can't find what I am looking for online. I am doing this as opposed to a wheel lock since I don't want to have to remove/install a lock or store it.

Basically all I want is a sensor I can install in the backside of one of my fairings, with a RFID tag on my keychain I need to swipe nearby to activate my ignition. Auto arm on ignition off, and thats all.

I don't want an alarm or anything else, and the only circuit I need to cut is igntion (carburated bike).

Does anybody know of anything like this?

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:42 AM

An even simplier one would be to hide a toggle switch somewhere on the bike. I would suggest a push pull type. Have the pushed in ignition on, pulled out ignition off. this way, you wont run the risk of it toggling off while your riding it. You could easily hide on under your fairing or something. You can utilize a small low power switch so its easy to hide. then just use a big relay as the power breaker. You could do this for around 20 bucks.

Other than that, its quite a complicated process. Its basically the same idea as a key with a chip in it. It requires the use of some sort of computer. At least, I dont know of any cheaper ones out there. Im sure there are ones that cost in the hundreds.

However, keep in mind. Most stolen bikes are wheeled away. Most thieves will atempt to start it for a very brief time, if they can't get it started, they will simply roll the bike into the back of truck and mess with it at a different location. If your truly worried about theft, a wheel lock may be your better bet. It would certainly take a thief longer to get around the wheel lock than being able to roll the bike away.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

I have found that your average gun lock is strong and sturdy and fits easily in a pocket.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:06 PM

I think a thief looking to lift away bikes would not take mine, its a 93, so for the effort they might as well steal something much more valuable. I'm more worried about someone looking for something very easy to ride away. A wheel lock may be marginally better since it stops someone from defeating the steering lock and rolling it into their garage, but I think that is unlikely too. I can't see much use for a bike that age except a joyride...