General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just basic Q & A right now...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just basic Q & A right now...

Alright guys, I am coming from a car background. I know about tuning, and general bolt on know how. From reading a bit on here it seems like there are debates about air filters in general. Some swear by OEM, others follow the car knowledge of more air in and out ='s more power. Not trying to start another debate, but I am a bit confused on the logic I am hearing. Some are saying since it lets more air in, it lets dirt in as well. I can follow this to a point, but unless huge gaping holes are present I am unsure of the problem it presents. I can see how you would not want "dirt" in your engine, but most of the time any small debris that manage to get through will be burnt up by the combustion cycle before damage can be done. This is also the function of your oil, to trap dirt and deposits. Perhaps more frequent oil changes could be done? I have read gains are minimal, but even on a bike a couple hp can make a seat of the pants difference I would think.

Now onto Maping lol. Im following that this is basically a tuning process. Most everything Ive seen deals with f.i. bikes. Can the carb bikes be "jetted" differently to adjust fuel mapping, or how is that done with the carb bikes. I would like to dyno mine just to see where shes at, and make sure the most efficient tune for hp/miliage is present. Would a PCIII apply to me, or is that out of my league lol.

Thanks for any info on this guys, just trying to get my bearing in all this.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Just basic Q & A right now...

Mapping is a function of the ECU. The Power Commander acts as a sub-processor to do what the stock ECU cannot, it offers finer control, adjustability and has faster processing power. This only applies to Fuel Injected bikes. Carbureted bikes work off of the physics of fluid dynamics using air pressure (positive or negative, or vacuum and venturi).

Regarding the air filter debate, I've heard a few say that OEM is best for certain bikes due to airflow issues in the design of the K&N for example. They say that the OEM yeilds better HP figures.

Oh, on carbureted bikes, jetting is done to accommodate more fuel into the cylinders or drastic altitude/ temperature changes. This is usually accompanied by changing the stock exhaust and intake (air filter in most cases), giving you the "more in- more out" scenario.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man! I understand the more in, more out theory. Is there any need for me to need "more in" when all that is done to the bike presently is a Erion slip on? Guess I could find a dyno, check the a/f, and see if its lean/rich.

Also, what are the "common" mods for bikes? Im not looking for anything major for the first bike, but I would like to get what I can out of the ol 600!

Old 07-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On your bike, I'd start w. the 3 basics. Exhaust, Air Filter, Jetting. That gets you power. Most folks will say that the best investment however is on rider training, ie track days and schools. Suspension I've heard is well worth the money too.