General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little Power when punching it

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Power when punching it

Hello guys, New here to the Forum. I just got a 91' CBR 600 F2. It only has 6,000 miles on it. When I give it gas hard, it seems to not be getting fuel or something. It just doesnt have the power it should. And when it idles, it sputters and will sometimes die when idling. I changed the plugs and cleaned the carbs. Dont know what is going on. Any Advice? Oh and yesterday it died on me a couple of times when I would come to a stop light and down shift and put in the clutch. ??? I tried everything I thought would help, but it didnt help much. Any help would surely be apprecitated. Thank you .
Dave

Old 09-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Little Power when punching it

Fuel filter, air filter, jumped timing, valves out of spec, bad gas, throttle position sensor TPS(if it's got one) ... all could cause the symptoms you describe. Crappy idling can be carbs out of synch. A leaky vacuum hose or arcing plug wires could also cause the same problems. I'd start with the simplest stuff first ... check all hoses for holes and tight then check all electrical connections are tight and not corroded. If you have a TPS make sure it's positioned correctly. Then synchronize the carbs and change the fuel filter/air filter. Check the valve clearance and timing. If none of that helps, then change the gas (too expensive to dump that liquid gold as a first attempt[8D]) Still ain't running? Dump the gas on it and light a match.

Good luck.

Oh, a very low battery can also make our bikes run funky. So if the battery is over 2yrs old you might want to check it also.

And, welcome to the board! Glad to have you. But please don't double post -- it confuses simple peeps like me[&:]

Old 09-26-2005, 12:11 PM

Yeah chainstretcher pretty much summed it all up . If it's none of those things, a cbr bond fire may be all thats left. Haha.

Old 09-26-2005, 01:08 PM

Check the ignition timing with a standard timing light, and see if the timing is advancing correctly or at all. When you cleaned the carbs, did you also clean the piston slides? They stick all the time and cause many problems.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:28 AM

Do you know if the previous owner jetted the bike? Is it the stock exhaust or aftermarket? If stock, you may want to verify the jet size, if aftermarket...may want to try some diffrent jets.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:39 PM

I've also heard of problems with the kickstand's electrical wiring not setting right when the kickstand is in the up position. Thus making the bike hesitate and turn off because the bike 'senses' the kickstand going down and up, and there you get your hesitation.