General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help passing emissions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help passing emissions!

Hi all,
I'm new to this whole forum thing so I don't know if this is the right place to put this or not, but I need help. I have an 02 cbr600f4i that doesn't want to pass emissions. It only has 16k miles on it. It has a pc3 set as lean as possible and an Akrapovic full system exhaust on it. After the first time it failed I replaced the spark plugs on it. It failed again so I ran injector cleaner through it and it still won't pass. I was running 91 octane fuel through it the first time I emissioned it and am now running VP110 in it. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where are you located?

Old 04-25-2012, 08:52 PM

We don't have emission testing here, so I'm just going to throw out some ideas that may or may not work. You want to run the octane your bike was intended for. Higher octane has more resistance to detonation, so its actually harder to ignite and will burn cooler and slower. What this may mean is even though you are running the pc as lean as possible, it may still be leaving unburned fuel out the exhaust.

Also, make sure you have a full tank of fresh gas. you don't want any fuel system cleaner in the gas if your trying to pass emissions.

Also, make sure your bike is fully warmed up before the test. If its cold, the enrichener circuit will be active and it will be running rich.

Like I said though, I've never had to go through emission testing, so take it for what its worth.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:18 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

wow, I just went on the longest internet tangent I've ever had. Saw this post 5 hours ago and than it started with fuel octane rating to how to make my bike run with higher octane gas better than power commanders to quick shifters (actually found out that they used to make them for bikes that cant have a PC) than to getting pulled over by a cop than cop beating up another cop than carpet cleaning back to here. . .

All I found for emissions was already stated by justasquid.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:26 PM

I am located in AZ.
I'll try some of that thank you.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 PM

Did you fail for HC, CO or NOx? (I have some experience with emmissions tests from my car). On a side note: running TOO lean can cause missfires, which will raise your HC numbers.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:29 AM

I failed on Co

Old 04-27-2012, 06:46 PM

High CO is normally from rich mixtures. (Too much gas/not enough air). How old is your 02 sensor? Can you confirm it's working properly?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:04 PM

Ive never changed it so I would assume its as old as the bike. How would I go about checking it?

Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 AM

Everything here is from my car experience (I'm new to motorcycles!) so you may want to try and research it a bit before you take my word for it.

The sensor SHOULD be good for 60,000 miles (or so) I'm not sure of the mileage on your bike. However things like improper a/f mixture, or leaded gas can shorten that lifespan considerably.

The sensor should be either a 3 wire, or a 1 wire. If it's a 3 wire, 2 of those wires will be for a heater. These should have 12V when the bike is running. (Possibly with it simply "on" but I'm not sure. A wiring diagram will help you with both of the above.)

The remaining (or only) wire is the "signal" from the 02 sensor. This should "cycle between 0v and 1v again, with the bike running. The ECU uses this to adjust the A/F ratio under idle/light load conditions, so it will need to remain connected when you measure this.

If it doesn't cycle it could be that the sensor is bad, or it could also be that your a/f ratio is so far off the ecu can't compensate enough for it to get within the sensor's range.

Not sure if that is much help to you, but it's something to start with I guess.