F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Passing inspection

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 04:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passing inspection

I understand that in NJ my bike has to be inspected every two years. Will I pass inspection with a two brothers slip-on? I read in the 2bros catalog that no aftermarket exhaust is street legal in the US and they are meant for racing purposes only. Does that mean when inspection time comes around I have to put the stock exhaust back on?!?!

Old 04-08-2006, 05:54 AM
Default RE: Passing inspection

Well I obviously don't know the laws in NJ since I'm from Michigan

But why not just play it safe and put the stock one back on for a day

It's not that hard to swap it out....takes like 10-15 minutes.

Old 04-08-2006, 06:07 AM

yeah, I know I can swap out the exhausts in no time. I guess I like the 2bros so much that I don't really want to take it off even if it is just to get the bike inspected.

Old 04-08-2006, 06:17 AM

LOL....you got some love for your bike

But I'd just play it safe and swap out the exhaust instead of finding out the hard way (fail inspection or a fine?)....u know???

Old 04-08-2006, 08:54 AM

If it was me, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had after market exhausts on all my bikes and none of them have ever failed inspection. I think all they look for (at least around here) is if the exhaust is leaking.

Even if it they would fail it, no big deal. Go home, swap it out, go back the next day.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: OldFatGuy

Even if it they would fail it, no big deal. Go home, swap it out, go back the next day.

I have no idea how far away your inspection place is, CBR BoyRacer, but save yourself the time and possibly another trip & spend the 10 minutes to swap back to the stock exhaust.

Or why not just call the inspection place and ask if a different muffler is okay??

it's your call, and that's just my 2 cents

Old 04-11-2006, 01:34 AM

i wanna know this too, because i heard that on a bike, there is no emission test. Also i have a 2 brother's exhaust and i don't have the stock pipe cause i bought this bike used.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:08 PM

I wouldn't worry much. IF I was you, I would ask ridding buddies where they got theirs or go to one of the local dealers. Afterall, they sell all kinds of aftermarket exhaust, so they should pass you. Why would they sell you an item that's not street legal, lol....
Here in MA, when I go for inspection, they only check all the lights and make sure the Vin# matches. Believe me, my bike has all sorts of "off road" only products. Good luck.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: JAY 2002CBR

I wouldn't worry much. IF I was you, I would ask ridding buddies where they got theirs or go to one of the local dealers. Afterall, they sell all kinds of aftermarket exhaust, so they should pass you. Why would they sell you an item that's not street legal, lol....
Here in MA, when I go for inspection, they only check all the lights and make sure the Vin# matches. Believe me, my bike has all sorts of "off road" only products. Good luck.

Because they want to make money? If something's advertised as "off-road only" and they sell it to you, you alone are responsible for the item's use.
Any muffler over 80 dBA is illegal in all 50 states by Federal Law. The only way for them to tell that is if they have a decibel meter, or if there's a big warning sticker on it. Most inspection stations in VA have inspectors who don't know the first thing about motorcycles. YMMV.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:13 AM

I'm from Jersey, and have had my bike inspected. An after market exhaust is no big deal, I have a Yosh. In most cases, you don't even need to start the engine, so they have no idea how loud the exhaust is. The one question I have is whether or not flushmounts will pass inspection...

Quick Reply: Passing inspection