General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help.. NO power

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help.. NO power

good day all,

so ive been riding around all morning, stopping and going with not a single problem till i stopped at work for 5 minutes. when i went to hop back on my bike (2008 CBR600RR) and turn the key to the ON position, i found i have ZERO power, even the clock with the time fades away.... i have tested the battery and that came back good, ive looked for loose wires/connections, didn’t see anything that jumped out. it seem its shorting out somewhere...? but where and how?

Any leads or input would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

thank you,
MAG

<--- that how i feel not haveing a running Bike... help

Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 PM
October 2011 ROTM

I would check all the fuses to see if those are good. If they are then I would lean towards a new battery. How old is the current one? I know you said you tested it but was the test to see if it could take a charge or hold a charge. They are 2 completely different test. A battery that is starting to go bad will take it but not hold it for long. A bad battery can cause some pretty weird issues.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:27 PM

thank you for the response and help,

i did check the fuses, all looked good. and id say the battery is about a 10 month to a year old. i did hook it up to a charger and it instantly said fully charged. so it could still be the battery cuz i know thats not the proper way to test it but then i hooked up my ground fx "that i usually do not have the power cords hooked up" the light up nice and bright. this is till i turned the key to ON... then instant darkness, no dim head light or anything.

is it possible the starter or some other component in the bike is grounding out causing los of all power?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by MAG_style
is it possible the starter or some other component in the bike is grounding out causing los of all power?
It is possible, but to draw that much current would surely blow the main 30A fuse. A couple of weeks ago, the wife and I were going on a ride. Her bike started up just fine. We rode a mile to the gas station to top up. When she turned the key on, she got no lights at all. It was totally dead. I pushed it home and she rode mine back (who says chivalry is dead). I took the 1000F and away we went (it helps to have multiple bikes). Later I found that the battery was bad. It would measure 12v when the key was off, but as soon as I turned the key, it dropped to 0.3v. I had the battery load tested and it showed dead. I would not have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. The point is that the batteries can display some really strange symptoms.

Last edited by IDoDirt; 09-06-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 PM

ill puck up a new batrtery tomorrow after work and let you know how it goes!
thank you

Old 09-07-2011, 07:12 PM

IT WORKED IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!! To my surprise the new battery did the trick!!!!!!!

thank you guys very much!! hopefully ill be able to pass on what ive learned, thank to you guy, on to someone else in need!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

It's nice when it's a simple fix. Now you can relax and go riding. Enjoy...