Help with maintenance!!! - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with maintenance!!!

Old 09-16-2018, 01:08 PM
Default Help with maintenance!!!

I just purchased a 1992 Cbr 600 f2 with just over 30,000 miles on it. The previous owner dropped the bike in his drive way so the right fairing is cracked but zip tied tight.

I want to know what things tend to go bad around this mileage and if I am able to do them at home. I would say I'm decently capable with most car maintenance and oil changes are pretty much the same on bikes but is there anything too look out for?

The forks look good, tires and brakes are good (rear brake is mushy but front stops on a dime) just changed oil. And previous owner said he just replaced the sprocket but didn't know what metal is was made of.

Should I clean out the carbs?
bike idles good but when on choke it starts up good even on colder days around 50F, problem is that it will be reving around 2,500 rpms then jump and stay at 4K.

Besides that, im not too sure what too look for, im newer to the bike scene but have been loving every second of it.

Anyone with tips would be appreciated!!

Old 09-18-2018, 05:55 PM

I'd say replace the plugs and air filter along with the oil as well. Check battery health. If the bike has stood unused for a very long time then tyres may need replacement as well even though they look fine. These are the obvious things to do if one buys used.
Other than these, carb clean, esp if idle is lumpy, followed by carb balancing would help a lot.
ps- ALways use oil with JASO MA/MA2 certfication for bikes as gearbox uses same oil. Again