CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

88 cbr tune up help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 cbr tune up help.

What's up guys, I'm pretty new to this scene so bare with me lol. Anyway I need help in knowing what to buy for a good tune up for my 1988 HONDA CBR 600rr.

So if anyone can please give me a list and OR whats the best place (good prices of course ) to buy them. Im really leaning on help for what kind of spark plugs to get, & do they come with wires or coils (correct me if I'm not making sense ) And another thing im focused on is what kind of oil should I put in it (Ill ask the previous owner what he used but you know how that goes sometimes)

P.s I don't plan on working on my bike myself just yet , lol if your wondering.

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

for spark plugs i like NGK. Denso are good too. they dont come with wires.
air filter: i use a k&n. there has been some debate whether it's worth it. stock flows great as well.
oil: another very debated topic. i use rotella t6 syntetic. i get it at walmart for like $22/gal. use whatever you like, just make sure its formulated for wet clutches (JASO-MA), not the "energy conserving" car oils. take a few hours and read through some of the oil threads.....
coolant: i use engine ice. again, the topic of many debates. regular, non silicate, coolant works good too.
the biggest part of a "tune up" for your ride is carb cleaning and adjustment. if you dont have the sync and a good understanding of carb stuff, probably would be good to take it to someone with some experience. same with adjusting the valves. feel free to look through the write ups and see if its something you want to tackle.
lube and adjust your chain often.
replace the brake fluid once a year or so.
check your tire pressure more than often, your life depends on it.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
for spark plugs i like NGK. Denso are good too. they dont come with wires.
air filter: i use a k&n. there has been some debate whether it's worth it. stock flows great as well.
oil: another very debated topic. i use rotella t6 syntetic. i get it at walmart for like $22/gal. use whatever you like, just make sure its formulated for wet clutches (JASO-MA), not the "energy conserving" car oils. take a few hours and read through some of the oil threads.....
coolant: i use engine ice. again, the topic of many debates. regular, non silicate, coolant works good too.
the biggest part of a "tune up" for your ride is carb cleaning and adjustment. if you dont have the sync and a good understanding of carb stuff, probably would be good to take it to someone with some experience. same with adjusting the valves. feel free to look through the write ups and see if its something you want to tackle.
lube and adjust your chain often.
replace the brake fluid once a year or so.
check your tire pressure more than often, your life depends on it.
That was perfect thanks man.. what's a good tire pressure for bikes ?

Old 05-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Most put it somewhere between 38-42, I believe. It should be in your manual or on a sticker on the bike, if it hasnt been removed.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:40 PM

Got you.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:28 PM

I also use the OE NGK plugs on mine. Wires & coils should be ok to reuse unless you're having a misfiring issue or something.
I've been using Castrol 4T dino oil, but like 74demon said before as long as it meets the jaso-ma spec you're fine. All these fancy new motorcycle oils didn't really exist back when this bike was made anyway..
Engine Ice is good coolant. I use Honda from the car dealer w/ water wetter mainly because I always have some on my shelf at home anyway.

I 2nd the comment about carb cleaning and carb sync. That will likely make the biggest difference in the bike running well. Out of sync or dirty carbs run like crap.

I usually run approx 38-40 PSI for tire pressure..

Another good idea would be to pick up or download the service manual for the bike. All the tune up and maintenance stuff is laid out in there with detailed instructions. It's a big help when working on the bike, I use mine all the time.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by TahoeRider
I also use the OE NGK plugs on mine. Wires & coils should be ok to reuse unless you're having a misfiring issue or something.
I've been using Castrol 4T dino oil, but like 74demon said before as long as it meets the jaso-ma spec you're fine. All these fancy new motorcycle oils didn't really exist back when this bike was made anyway..
Engine Ice is good coolant. I use Honda from the car dealer w/ water wetter mainly because I always have some on my shelf at home anyway.

I 2nd the comment about carb cleaning and carb sync. That will likely make the biggest difference in the bike running well. Out of sync or dirty carbs run like crap.

I usually run approx 38-40 PSI for tire pressure..

Another good idea would be to pick up or download the service manual for the bike. All the tune up and maintenance stuff is laid out in there with detailed instructions. It's a big help when working on the bike, I use mine all the time.
Thanks bro, that was really helpful as well. Im going to try and find that manual online too.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Old 05-08-2012, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by TahoeRider
Great! thanks