CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

What oil do i use to top up my 954 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What oil do i use to top up my 954 ?

Only just got it and i have just thought that if i need to top up the oil.... which one do i use ? I don't know what grade of oil the previous owner put into it.... does it matter if i mix a 10w/40 semi with .. well, something else. And what oil would you say i should buy ?

Old 03-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

mixing oils is better then having low or no oil. just make sure its motorcycle oil meant for wet clutches.

since you just got the bike and don't know when it was changed last or with what, now would be a good time to change it. that way you know whats in it and when it was changed. i would also change the brake fluid, coolant, air filter (clean it if its a K&N), spark plugs, lube (and check) the chain, and set up the forks for your weight and riding style. go through and and make sure every bolt is tight. your life depends on it, and dont take for granted what others have done to your bike.

demon

Old 03-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
mixing oils is better then having low or no oil. just make sure its motorcycle oil meant for wet clutches.

since you just got the bike and don't know when it was changed last or with what, now would be a good time to change it. that way you know whats in it and when it was changed. i would also change the brake fluid, coolant, air filter (clean it if its a K&N), spark plugs, lube (and check) the chain, and set up the forks for your weight and riding style. go through and and make sure every bolt is tight. your life depends on it, and dont take for granted what others have done to your bike.

demon
+1 when I picked up my bike I changed all the fluids and went over all parts for wear regardless of what the PO said, Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 AM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by 74demon

demon
+1

Old 03-23-2012, 10:35 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why go semi when full synthetic oil only cost spare change more? My 900rr calls for 10/40 or 20/50....your 954 owners spec manual will tell you, if same like mine then....10/40 for cooler condition, 20/50 for higher temp weather...

Like what SirDemon say....change all liquid and get to know the bike...I learn to start by giving the bike a good cleaning/detailing...you'll be surprise why you able to see while doing this. Any loose fairing bolts, low oils, fork seal leak & ditto....i've caught those problems during a good cleaning of bike.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by estate4life
...I learn to start by giving the bike a good cleaning/detailing...you'll be surprise why you able to see while doing this. Any loose fairing bolts, low oils, fork seal leak & ditto....i've caught those problems during a good cleaning of bike.
it's amazing what you can find when you touch every part of a bike to clean it...

read through one or ten of the hundreds of oil threads to make the choice of oil type and weight you want to use. it's been extensively covered over and over.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:51 PM

Cheers guys, i think this is a good idea, the previous owner said he had changed it recently but as for the brake fluid or spark plugs.... don't know.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kinda opened a can of worms, didn't ya? Simple question, gone rogue. lol

Great advice, being presented, though. New bike owners really do have a check-list,
to ensure both-their's and the bike's longevity.

I would add, check/re-pack the boots on the caliper's hanger bolts. Scope out pad-life
while you're there. Run through the wiring harness, as well. Look for any worn, frayed
or burnt sections/connectors. Carefully inspect anything added/modded to the harness.

PO's do the darnedest things to a bike's electrical systems.

Type of oil doesn't matter, just being sure it's always topped off and changed regularly.
That's the ticket in that department.

Good luck, Ern

Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 PM

Just changed my oil a few days ago. Took out mobil 1 and put in castrol power rs racing 4t engine oil. The difference in how it shifts is amazing, I will be putting this in my FZ 1 also on its next change. $7.99 a quart at the local auto parts store.