General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Engine keeps dying...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Engine keeps dying...

I was on my way to cycle gear and I decided to take a twisty road to get there... I noticed that everytime I brake relatively hard the bike shuts off, not stoppy hard braking, but twisty road hard braking... The bike also shut off a couple of times when i was just sitting on the side of the road with the clutch pulled in. At this point I decided that it was unsafe to ride the bike anyfurther so I turned around to come home and check the bike out... Going through this left hander the bike shut off right as I was apexing the turn and it almost made me run off the road. Then as I went to get on the freeway to go home the bike would start freaking out, the FI light would start blinking and with it the engine would cut out and back in and out and back in. This crazy on off engine behavior happened the whole way home; I had to just pull the clutch in everytime it happened to prevent going down. At this point I have no idea whats wrong with the bike... I'm hesitant to take the bike to a shop to get it fixed cause of the $$$ situation so I'd like to try and find out what the problem is myself and try to fix it...HELP!!!

P.S.
Everytime the bike shuts off the FI light comes on and then goes off and when the light goes off the bike shuts off...

Old 08-27-2005, 11:39 PM
Default RE: Help! Engine keeps dying...

Have you noticed any other electrical misbehavior? Is the entire system shutting down, or just the FI light?

Old 08-29-2005, 06:30 PM

Just the FI light...it blinks on and then off and then the engine is dead. When i flip the kill switch off then on again it starts right back up...

Old 08-29-2005, 07:02 PM

I would take it over to your local shop and have them take a look. Must be some electrical and that can be hard to diagnose.

Old 08-29-2005, 11:02 PM

Electrical problems are hard to diagnose because it takes time to check the fuses, switches and wires. If you have more time than money, you can do it yourself. You need a digital voltmeter. Sears has a nice one for $20, sometimes on sale for $10. If the engine goes dead and then won't start again, it's usually a bad wire or fuse. When it dies but will start again, I would suspect a switch. Besides the ignition key and engine shut off switch, the other safety switches that can affect the ignition on my old bike are the side stand and neutral switch. On your newer bike, the tip over switch can shut off the fuel pump. Good luck.