General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F4i False neutral, Upgrade or OEM Spring Detent?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 04:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i False neutral, Upgrade or OEM Spring Detent?

Morning all,

I have just purchased a CBR600 F4i 2005 model, I did in the early 2000's own a brand new one of these so I am familiar with the model, whilst the bike is in great condition and has full service history I have come across one possible issue that is troubling, whilst on a very long ride home at motorway speeds I had a few false neutrals between 5th and 6th gear. Now I will say I will not pass this off as user error as I have been riding Adventure trail bikes the last 5 years which have a gear shift like a WW1 Field gun, you know when you have changed and the box on the CBR is very very smooth, almost to smooth if I am honest.

I have read a fair few similar post regarding poor shifting on this model and they start by trouble shooting the linkage which I have also done and all is lubed, tight and adjusted correctly, the next is the Detent arm and spring behind the clutch, I see a lot of folks in the past have fitted the Factory Pro items and the feedback seems positive and gives far more of a assertive shift, which I am looking for as I go up the gearbox. The trouble is I am based in the UK and I cannot find a kit anywhere in Europe and the cost of importing is very high when purchased from the manufactuer due to customs fees etc.

The bike has 30k miles and whilst I was planning to do a clutch change out of precaution anyway I wondered what the consensus was with swapping out the older OEM items with new Honda items as I can get these locally fairly cheap, I am not sure how much if any difference this will make and how much wear these parts get over the years. I am a bit pressed for time also as I was planning a 4 day track event in Spain in the next month or so and I have zero idea how long shipping would be if I had to get the Factory pro kit.

Just looking for thoughts of people that have changed OEM like for like or if you have a H21 (I think it is) Factory Pro kit going unused and would be willing to sell, there could be options for a deal?...

Regards